Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mysterious red laser light from 532nm laser?

Well yes, we do have our reasons. That phrase is usually accurate. On alert does cross my mind.
Paul, I too was going to leave this thread, but I was just interested to see if others had the same thought. :p

That is, in fact, why I came back and posted here. I hope this has served to satisfy your curiosity. ;)

tung

I had a sorry your 532 module loss eulogy all written up.:whistle:
Edit: I'm sure tung the OP set us up nicely with that title:beer:

Might be able to use it before long as I've just gotten another 532nm to "experiment" with, lol.

Radim

BTW:

That's what happened when I shot 532 nm laser through some glass ashtray once. I think it is uranium glass(?). It's mobile camera shot, so sorry for quality. I noticed also 473 nm does the same (but not sure now, I need to verify it) - but not 405 nm (seems to me it turns bright green - but also I need to verify it). Maybe somebody could tell me what material it is? It is really heavy glass, so I thought about Pb glass or U glass. But Pb glass does not fluorescence under 532 nm, what I have tried (there was a Pb sticker on another ashtray I tried).

Last edited:
Leaded glass isn't that much heavier than ordinary glass as the amount of Pb in it is fractional. I doubt it is U glass as that fluoresces a yellow/greenish color. I'd have to do a search to find a mineral that could be added to glass and fluoresces green. It is interesting, though. Leaded glass is commonly called crystal.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, Uranium Glass glows green under blue/uv light not green.

Radim

Thanks Paul. To clarify my post I have tried two glass things one was with Pb (according to sticker) and was by feeling quite heavy compared to common glass (but I did not meassured its density). And second (that on pic) with some green/yellow tint under normal light. The fact with fluorescence is it is limited by energy of photon initiating it AFAIK. Basically fluorescence has to be of longer wavelengths if no other process is involved. Usually there is a gap in spectre from initiating to emission. I used green laser to get red and violet and blue to get kind of green/yellow (again I need to verify it for blue). It might be possible IMO as uranium glass glows under UV in green. What I have read about uranium glass the fraction of uranium compound might be from a little up to about 25 % that is significant. The question is if uranium glass fluorescence red under 532 nm . Maybe I'll try to find its for fluorescence emission specre for uranium. Still I speak about that as to be uranium glass, but I'm just curious what it is in deed. Uranium glass is just serious candidate for that. :)

Edit:
Oliver are you sure it does not glow under green? That would be interesting and I'm becoming more curious what additive in glass might behave like this what I observed. :thinking:

Last edited:
I have some U glass and it glows mostly yellow with a tinge of green. I think if you were to ask others who have U marbles they will tell you the same, as I have had this same conversation in the past on this forum. I have never heard of it fluorescing at 532nm light and I have confirmed that with my U glass. If I were you, I'd isolate the glass and use only the 532nm laser light to see what effect you get. Once you have done that, it would be much easier to do a search for the answer you are looking for.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry Paul, I meant a yellowish green. Uranium glass has its very own shade, although I have seen some old glasses glow very green indeed.

Radim, I haven't observed any fluorescence from what I can remember with 532nm. But I can see if I can do a test for you. :)

Radim

Thanks guys. This discussion raised my curiosity beyond to let it just be. I'll do more experiments as I have time for that and I think it is worth to make a separate thread for that. ;)

The pic I posted is solely with 532 nm laser illumination - there is even a beam slightly visible coming from the left. The shape of red inside is due to multiple inner reflections and refraction a bit. Green speckling glow and dots seems to be original laser light. Thanks again.

Edit: I noticed I'm contradictious with my statement about blue. So please disregard that. I'll do experiment with that as I evidently do not remember how it was. ;) Sorry for that.

Last edited:

Radim

Guys, check out this:

SPECTRA OF FLUORESCENCE OF
URANATED* GLASS OBJECTS WHEN
IRRADIATED WITH <488nm RADIATION (4)

Also notice there is significant part of red in the fluorescence spectre. If I assume shining a green laser and some gap between this and emission, yellow/red region might be reached?

Also here:
Laser fluorescence in a glass prism - Experiments - Science Forums

The video posted by that guy is exactly what I'm seeing. But still there is no information what material it might be - maybe also manganese glass.

Also the ashtray suspected to contain uranium or manganese is very similar color under normal light of glass stuff seen under uranium glass.

Let's see when I'm back home - business trip.