Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My second baby Spartacus II

so here i am, building my first very powerfull laser :drool:
i brought the M140 diode mounted on copper module from DTR
some LM317T from ebay (paid 1.20€ piece :gun: )
some great 1ohm 3W resistor on ebay
peltier cell 90W 12V 6A on ebay ( no more used because useless since wen the laser goes off the peltier became very hot on the cold side)
4x4x3cm aluminium heatsink on ebay (like 2€ a piece whith free ship)
and a custom zinc mounting from a floppy drive motor that i savaged (the inner diameter is 12.03mm so it fits great whit a litle heatsink plaster)
heatsink plaster on ebay (2€ 5g free ship from england)
and finali a 4x4x1cm dc fan with current backflow protection (3€ a piece free ship on ebay)

the laser can operate on continue duty cicle without turning it off, the max temperature peak is about 38°C after 1 hour continues use (generaly the absolute maximum rating for lasers is -10 + 80 °C so i put it in between) :beer:
this build is intended to be double-use, so wen i want to use it on my cnc i plug in to the driver, the rele control so the arduino can turn it off and on or if i decide to take off the laser then the control port became's a great key protection (i know every class IV laser should have a key protection system)
the fan is mounted in series whith the laser so wen the laser turns on the fan also will turn on (i know betwen diode and driver i should not put anithing but only the diode) the fan is rated to be protected from backflow current and voltage (maybe some diodes?!) so no spikes can harm the diode.
the laser output is about 1W 100mW +- at 1.2A whith aixiz glass lense (do not have a laser power meter so i refer on the current vs power plot on DTR's website) and is extreemely powerfull i've cut a 3mm mdf sheet in 3 minutes whith the cnc...but since this is a laser forum and not a cnc forum lets see some beam shots and driver photos =)

ps. please excuse my very bad, bad english

pps. the driver heatsink is entirely homemade whith scrap aluminium (not beautiful but functional :)

eqzu.jpg

6lno.jpg

0loj.jpg

iyrn.jpg

9yzf.jpg

3hu7.jpg

qpk9.jpg

sc8r.jpg

jfoq.jpg

seik.jpg

vtd2.jpg

e8uy.jpg

q0dh.jpg

i Know is noting special or beautiful, since guys like DTR, BLORD, FLAMINPIRO, etc make more "eye candy laser host's" but for me,is beautiful since is my very first powerfull laser build and i am very proud of myself maybe in the future i will make a more eye candy powerfull laser :evil: (that is for sure) :beer:

DTR

Sweet. Glad to see you got it up and running.

Nice beam shots. We are a laser forum but like to see all uses of lasers including CNC so thanks for sharing.:beer:

Last edited:
Sweet. Glad to see you got it up and running.

Nice beam shots. We are a laser forum but like to see all uses of lasers including CNC so thanks for sharing.:beer:

well then once i make the video of the CNC working then i will post it here =) thank you

:beer:

Looks great good job! How long can you run without it overheating?

:beer:
-Matt

:beer: forever :beer: , last night i was awake and let the laser on the entire night, max temperature was 38,56°C or 101.41ºF on a run time of 7 hour's =)

thank you for the apreciation =) soon i will post a video of the cnc working out some MDF