Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My laser lenses are messed up! can u help? plz

I have a new green laser that was pretty good when i got it.The dot was ok, but i decided to clean it with a dry Q-tip,this worked great the first time.The dot was really small and crisp.Soo i tried it agian and i moved then Q-tip in a circular motion screwing the lense halfway into the focusing channel.Little did i know this at that time and the dot was about the size of a baseball at 40 feet,unsuprised i was greatly upset.Soo i took it apart and cleaned it with saline the dot avter that was badddd,soo i used my dads air sompressor and that made it evan worse,soo i tried another Q-tip with rubbing alchohol, it helped alittle but i dont know what i did wrong, soo i tried water, then it made it bad agian,soo i then lastly tried windex and it worked the best exept for my first clean.Can you maybe help me find whats wrong with with them.The picture below is the laser on a white door from only about 40 feet away.
Thanks and happy posting!
P.S.:please stay on topic...lol thanks

ammendments:Lol forgot too say i cant afford a new laser no birthday coming up :p

Attachments

• Picture_001_006.jpg
    Picture_001_006.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 131

Try taking off the cap and refocusing, you may have moved the lense while cleaning

no its focused i already checked that one.it was unfocused when it was the size of a baseball, thats why it was big at that time now its a small dot with alot of dots around it
usually the lense is at the end of the focusing channel
thanks though but evan when focused its a huge blurred spot

Have you tried taking out the lens and looking at it carefully with a magnifying glass? I fear for you may have scratched it during cleaning or something. If that's the case, you'd need to buy a new lens.

when i looked at the lense it looked like there was almost like an oil on it, sorta car oil in a puddle in the street :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I don't know what's worse here. The fact that it takes hours for me to translate your posts into english, or the fact that your lens has oil on it.

If q-tip + alcohol does not work this time, I'm out of strategies.

kendon

the oil is probably from the compressor, if it is used to power tools it is very likely that the air is mixed with oil. if (repeated) cleaning with alcohol doesn't help (or destroys the lens ultimately) i'd say get a new lens...

I'm not sure what's this Q-tip that you use, but I think you can clean the lens with a lens cleaning solution and cloth (the ones for cameras) if you have one. If not, use a little soap with some water on a lens cloth to wipe it gently. The lens cloth is the fine silk-like cloth provided when you purchase a pair of spectacles. It is necessary so as not to scratch the lens.

Also, hold the lens by its sides when you handle it, or with a cloth, so that you do not dirty it again.

Hope this might work.

wouldnt doub it my dad said theres oil in the compressor air...but i dont know what lenses my laser takes uh oh...lol :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Alcohol is NOT good for cleaning lenses.

Use a glass/window cleaning solution and q-tips.
Dab one side in the solution and wipe the lens in ONE DIRECTION only ONCE.
Dry it off with the other side, wiping in one direction.
Do not use this q-tip again.
Repeat this process until the lens is clean.

Do not touch the cotton swab or it will get your finger oils onto the lens.
The trick is to never let the same part of the cotton swab touch the lens twice.
Don't blow on the lens.

gimalg

I have just switched to glass lenses for all my lasers. I have also found putting some Teflon Tape on the threads helps a bunch with keeping a nice fit to help prevent t he lens from shaking.

i got my lenses from laser s u r p l u s parts [ d o t ] com   without the spaces in it.