Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My laser is a Microscope!!

Well not exactly but due to the linear nature of coherent laser light you can project very detailed shadows of small items. Take off the lens and hold small items right in front of the laser and project the light at a wall or ceiling about 6 feet away.

The pic is of the spring from an Aixiz module projected 5 feet across my ceiling with my 300mW 22x 650nm laser. :)

-Ted

Attachments

• Macro.JPG
    Macro.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 89

another way to use laser as microscope - reflection. my avatar, and the images below,were made reflecting the laser off a frosted incandescent light bulb from ~20 feet away. the reflected spot then projects out 10 feet to wall. interference pattern modulated by surface (in these images glass light bulb). picture scale about 1 meter, representing the tiny (few mm^2) spot on the bulb where the beam hits.

interfere5.jpg

interfere3.jpg

interfere1.jpg

Switch

There was an instructable on how to mod a microscope to project whatever is under the microscope on the wall using a laser :D

Kage

Xplorer877 said:
Well not exactly but due to the linear nature of coherent laser light you can project very detailed shadows of small items. Take off the lens and hold small items right in front of the laser and project the light at a wall or ceiling about 6 feet away.

The pic is of the spring from an Aixiz module projected 5 feet across my ceiling with my 300mW 22x 650nm laser. :)

-Ted

Hey, excellent experiment!

The following was not my discovery, but if you shine a laser through a frosted incandescent light bulb, it shows a very detailed image of the filament on the other side - great for testing these old light bulbs without electricity or meter. ;)

Things

Kage said:
[quote author=Xplorer877 link=1228372514/0#0 date=1228372513]Well not exactly but due to the linear nature of coherent laser light you can project very detailed shadows of small items. Take off the lens and hold small items right in front of the laser and project the light at a wall or ceiling about 6 feet away.

-Ted

Hey, excellent experiment!

The following was not my discovery, but if you shine a laser through a frosted incandescent light bulb, it shows a very detailed image of the filament on the other side - great for testing these old light bulbs without electricity or meter. ;)[/quote]

You can do the same ting with fluorescent bulbs, you can see the filament projected on the other side.