Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My laser arrived today, but my glasses are behing hold up by the USPS (got glasses!)

Daid

My laser arrived today (Cuddos to o-like and DHL for quick delivery), but my glasses are behing hold up by the USPS. Should I fire up my 500mW laser once before I wait for my glasses? Or should I play it safe and store it in a box till I get the glasses?

It's this laser: Industrial 405nm 500mW laser module /Focusable/TTL [OL-405-500] - $119.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
So I shouldn't have any problems with it rolling away and shining in my eyes or anything ;) but it's my first laser. And part of me wants to play it safe, the other part wants a freaking laser beam :p

Last edited:

Re: My laser arrived today, but my glasses are behing hold up by the USPS...

I would wait for the Glasses.... no sense in taking a chance to
have an unforeseen accident with a ~500mW Laser...

Jerry

Last edited:

Joe Mo

Use you judgement! If its your first laser though you have to be super careful, 405nm burns stuff like crazy.

" You'll shoot your eye out kid! "

Last edited:

My laser arrived today (Cuddos to o-like and DHL for quick delivery), but my glasses are behing hold up by the USPS. Should I fire up my 500mW laser once before I wait for my glasses? Or should I play it safe and store it in a box till I get the glasses?

It's this laser: Industrial 405nm 500mW laser module /Focusable/TTL [OL-405-500] - $119.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
So I shouldn't have any problems with it rolling away and shining in my eyes or anything ;) but it's my first laser. And part of me wants to play it safe, the other part wants a freaking laser beam :p

Maybe some beam shots outdoors tonight, but nothing indoors without goggles I would say.

Here is a very credible safety guideline...

Sony Guidelines of Measures for Prevention of Injury by Laser Light Purpose

The guidelines are aimed at eliminating the possibility of injury to the workers who engage in laser device handling or services in which they might be exposed to laser light (referred to as laser-related work hereinafter)....(referred to as service workers).

Laser equipment classification....based on the degrees of the effects the laser equipment, categorized as defined in the accompanying sheet on the basis of the radiation exposure limits corresponding to the wavelengths and durations of laser light generated by the laser devices, cause on the human body. The meaning of each of the classes is defined below.

Class 1 : Laser equipment with a low output (approximately 0.39μw or less) which does not cause any injury to the human body.

Class 2 : Laser equipment with an output of such level of visible light (400 to 700nm in wavelength) that enables the defensive reaction of the human body to avert injury (approximately 1mW).

Class 3A : Laser equipment with an output which makes direct observation of the beam by optical means dangerous and which is less than five times the output of class 2 (approximately 5mW or less).

Class 3B : Laser equipment with an output that can cause eye injury if exposed to directly but which does not cause eye injury if exposed to diffused reflected (approximately 0.5W aka 500mW or less).

Class 4 : Laser equipment with an output which can cause eye injury even if exposed to diffused and reflected beam (approximately more than 0.5W)

Note) 1W=10^3mW=10^6μW

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/s...us-guide-care-feeding-laser-diodes-70826.html

Last edited:

Daid

Use you judgement! If its your first laser though you have to be super careful
Then I'll wait. Better safe then sorry.
Shooting outside is not really an option, as anything above 200mW outside is illegal where I live, and I live in the center of a city.

405nm burns stuff like crazy.
That's the idea :)

I am wondering a bit tough, it says "focusable" but ether I got something wrong, or the lens is not included, or the lens is way backwards in the module.
Because the round front plate with the 2 tiny holes doesn't contain a lens. And I can see that there is something shiny half way, but not sure if it's the lens or the diode. But unless I can unscrew that face plate I don't see how I can focus it...?

But I'll wait patently for my glasses to arrive, until then I have the 10x 3mW red cutes to play with.

EDIT: Never mind, the mail gods love me:
IMG_20120217_190450.small.jpeg

Last edited:

Joe Mo

Post a pic of the front holes you were talking about

Post a pic of the front holes you were talking about

445-1-2.jpg

I think he means the 2 holes on either side of the center hole as seen in the picture on O-Like's site.

Joe Mo

Gotcha for some reason I thought this was a handheld, use a spanner wrench, or fine needlenose

Daid

Tweezers worked to unscrew the cap.

For reference, it looks like this inside:
IMG_20120218_123504.small.jpeg

But now that I has my glasses I turned it on. And it emits a 3mm dot and seems to be 'infinite focus' (dot didn't get smaller 5 meters away)
(Shitty phone camera photo)
IMG_20120218_124653.small.jpeg

The goggles are awesome, I took a quick peek at the laser over the goggles, while the laser was pointing to the other side of the room (couldn't resist) and damn, that's bright.

But I guess I'll need some extra optics to get a focal point.

Last edited:

After reading all of this, it looks like you have chosen an intersting laser! I'm not sure if it is focus able or not, but it SEEMS like even if it isn't, that it shouldn't be too hard for you to get parts from an inexpensive blue or order some very inexpensive parts from o-like to make it focus able.

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=118

Don't know if that would work... You might email Susie and see...

That said, I also noticed that your laser is TTL.

You might want to read up on it. It offers some very interesting and fun options. I saw that it was TTL and thought I it might have something to do with focus, but it actually means your laser has circuitry to easily turn the laser on and off THOUSANDS of times per SECOND if I understood correctly.

With that, you can make words and pics with mirrors and such.

You might want to check this thread.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/what-does-ttl-modulation-mean-42386-2.html

I learned a lot, fast...

You have a neat laser there. I think it was actually a really good choice for a starter. Much safer than a pointer, with lots of interesting potential. I think that I may even want some of these fixed style lasers to play with!

Last edited:

Daid

Indeed, the TTL input is nice, which is why I got this laser in the first place. I have a background in electronics, with a specialization in microcontrollers. The whole TTL business with duty cycles to lower the intensity is basic stuff for me.

I haven't tried the TTL input yet, but the electronics are badly labeled! On the bottom of the driver there are + - symbols for the electronics, but they don't match the wire colors on top. Is the blue or the white wire the ground or the signal? Unknown right now, but I can find out.
The good thing is, the laser turns on without the TTL input connected.

As a test, I unscrewed one of the red lenses I had, (from these) and held in in front of the beam. It was a bit chunky, but I got it to burn.

There is no thread in the small front hole, so that cannot hold a lens. And the big hole has about 15mm in diameter. But no real issue for me, I can make any type of holder for the lens. I might make a simple holder for the tiny red lens tomorrow, just as a test.