Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first "real" laser finally arrived off the slowest boat from China

This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJDQZFU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

klLCx3xl.jpg

I'm not so concerned with it's burning ability but I'm in love with that solid beam, it's so much more vivid in person.

I don't have a host so I just have it hooked to my flashlight for now, I found a guy selling two "laser 301" lasers for cheap, one red and one green so I think I'm going to swap this module into the red one, they're only 100mW tops. But they both come with a battery and charger so for $20 for everything and not having to wait on shipping, I don't think it's that bad of a deal. especially for something to learn on.

I think I'll have to upgrade my lenses, the one in this 250mW module seems a little wonky, like it's flopping around while you're focusing it.

GSS

Action, the red lasered 301 should run 200mw or more as they come. Plus they aren't too easy to take apart and mod.
If you carefully put a little plumbers teflon tape on the lens thread it should help the wobble.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice beams, but be sure and mount that module in a heatsink if you're going to use it for more than a few seconds at a time.

Action, the red lasered 301 should run 200mw or more as they come. Plus they aren't too easy to take apart and mod.
If you carefully put a little plumbers teflon tape on the lens thread it should help the wobble.

Oh, if that's the case I'll probably just leave it as is then. I'll grab some teflon tape and see if that helps, thanks.

Nice beams, but be sure and mount that module in a heatsink if you're going to use it for more than a few seconds at a time.

I plan on getting one next time my wife makes a big amazon order and I can sneak it in the cart. I haven't had it on for more than a few seconds and always feel it after use, it hasn't gotten noticeably warm.

There is a good chance the lens isn’t the typical dimensions. Might be close but not M9

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
From your link to Amazon, that looks like a typical 12mm module, which should use a 9mm x 0.5mm threaded lens holder.
In one of the pics, it looks like it comes with an acrylic lens in the usual plastic holder.
Is the internal spring that came with it, in place?

Edit: Here are some lens options available from DTR's store.

Last edited:

GSS

From your link to Amazon, that looks like a typical 12mm module, which should use a 9mm x 0.5mm threaded lens holder.
In one of the pics, it looks like it comes with an acrylic lens in the usual plastic holder.
Is the internal spring that came with it, in place?

Edit: Here are some lens options available from DTR's store.
Good question on the spring..
If only he can sneak the lens from Dtr from the wife:whistle:

Good question on the spring..
If only he can sneak the lens from Dtr from the wife:whistle:

It'll end up like my arcade parts. Buy it, sneak it in the garage and let it sit in there a week. When she catches me playing with it I just say "honey, I've had this in my parts stash a long time"

After ten years together I find it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Encap

I'm not so concerned with it's burning ability but I'm in love with that solid beam, it's so much more vivid in person.

If you like a visible beam next time think about a 533nm green --532nm if 18X brighter visually than 650nm at same output power.
See: Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (650nm 200mw) vs. (532nm 200mw)

An inexpensive Laser 301 or 303 for $5 to $10 on ebay would have a beam that is brighter and more solid looking. They typically are 50mW - 80mW.

Fot $18 you can get a 100mW Sanwu laser 303 with metered output of 100mW which ould be 9X brighter here: https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/304green

It'll end up like my arcade parts. Buy it, sneak it in the garage and let it sit in there a week. When she catches me playing with it I just say "honey, I've had this in my parts stash a long time"
After ten years together I find it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Permission? lol Am sure she will be forgiving.

Last edited:
The 301's I got locally are pretty neat.

The red will barely burn if focused just right but I noticed if I un focus it enough into a big circle on the wall I can see two weird "spots" in the dot. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning.

The green won't burn but it's much brighter and has a beautiful beam

After getting out in the damp evening with it I realized I'm definitely a "green guy"

HYoDxFv.jpg