Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first laser build.

hey guys well its my first time building a laser and i'm confused with getting a capacitor for it. I have 4.5v 18.1 mA current and i need to get the mA to around 180 or 190. Can anyone tell me what capacitor to use or at least point me in the right direction.

anselm

Hello and welcome to the foum!:wave:
A capacitor doesn't have much to do with the current....
What driver are you using?
Where are you planning to put that capacitor?

Might I suggest you read the laser building and driver related links inside the
INDEX link in my signature?:whistle:

The diode is a GGW blu ray. I'm not sure what the Nm are either.

The original circuitry had a a push button wired to a board, Which is attached to
both a Speaker and a led light. Im assuming the original board will burn out with 180mA So i plan to put the capacitor on the + wire between the laser and the led wiring after the board.

As far the driver. I wasnt gonna use one the mA are so low i was just gonna get a capacitor to build it up

On a side note does anyone know if a 200mW unfocused laser could still burn light matches and stuff

Last edited:
Sorry camera was being weird, anyway its 3 batteries connected to a green board in the middle which connects to a button switch, which re routes and adjusts power to the speaker and the led wire( disconnected one)

Attachments

• P5130026.JPG
    P5130026.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 178

BennyF

i'm confused, did you say speaker? its super hard to see whats going on in the picture.

Last edited:
Yeah, its a long story but there is one it makes a wooshing sound Its powered by two separate wires though.

Last edited:

strik3

so basicaly you dont want to use a driver, but instead want to run the diode straight off the power output from a circuit designed to power a L.E.D (im presuming you mean a standard L.E.D and not a cree), by adding a capacitor in series with the laser diode?

Last edited:
Exactly ;), i guess i could of explained it like that and yes a regular led 5mm

Last edited:

strik3

you cant increase the power just by just adding a capacitor.
one way to do it would be to have a separate driver for the diode, and use the switch which is already on the board to activate the driver

Ok, so ill use a microflex booster. As for the diode does the voltage make a difference even if the mA is the same; in the way of burning.

Last edited: