Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first greenie - Nova Alpha 105

xgeek

Last Thursday I ordered my first greenie from Novalasers and it arrived last Monday.
Due to being away on business and only returning home tonight this was the first chance I got to have a play.

I unboxed the laser and looked for some batteries. After 10 minutes I gave up and took some out of a TV remote. They had been in the remote over a year so I was not sure if they would work. Anyway I went into the garden and pointed the laser to the sky. Pressed the button and 2 seconds later my jaw hit the floor. The brightest beam I have ever seen shot out of the end of the laser and went as far as I could see. There was some clouds in the sky and I could see the dot and draw on the clouds ;D.

I have seen photos on the forum and have read other members reviews but seeing this first hand was amazing :eek:.

I will take some photos and do a review this weekend to share with you guys.

Oh yeah the spec on the box reads:-
Peak = 119.4
Average = 115.8

It's not the highest peak I have seen posted but the average seems good.

Cheers
XG

LarryQ

Oh Yeah.....

I just Love that "Jaw Hit the chest" moment the first time you see that beam come out the end of the X-105.

Nice specs...your readings are great...average power is very important...peak is just that..a momentary high reading...

Too cool....

LarryQ

Gazoo

All I can say is Nova Rocks.. ;D And like Larry and others, my jaw dropped the first time I saw the beam too...I am still inspired by it.. ;D

xgeek

Greenie said:
Very nice.  I take it you purchased a x105?

I got the Alpha 105 as I wanted the safety features.

A quick question for other Nova owners. In the instructions it say only to use alkaline batteries otherwise you void the warranty. So I guess it is not safe to use lithium AAs?

LarryQ

Hmmm....I've used Lithiums in my X-105 since the day it arrived!

I'm not sure if the Alpha is different...

That would be strange though....

Larry

Comidt

Cool, finally somone on the forum with an Alpha ;)
Can't wait for those pics.

xgeek said:
[quote author=Greenie link=1190330323/0#1 date=1190330869]
A quick question for other Nova owners. In the instructions it say only to use alkaline batteries otherwise you void the warranty. So I guess it is not safe to use lithium AAs?
I asked the same question, here's the reply from Nova Lasers
Dear Steve,

AA Lithium batteries are fine to use in your Alpha Series laser. In fact, we have found that the Alpha Series performs particularily well with Energizer E squared Lithium batteries.

Hope this answers your question!

Best Regards.

Magdalena Gudzowska,
Sales Director
NOVALASERS.COM

Does the Nova use AA's or AAA's? I'm thinking about the Nova 125 for my next laser. I want something that size between 100 and 200mW

LarryQ

The X series (X-105, X-85 ect..ect) use AAA

THe Alpha series uses AA

If you want a 125..your going to have to spring for the Alpha...X-125's are RARE and seem to always be out of stock.
The yeald on X-125's is Low...

However...My X-105 came speced at 128.2 mw Peak..and 114.8 mw Average...

Can't go wrong with an X-105!!!
LArry

Re: I'm confused

Are we talking NOVA LASERS Alpha series, or The Company- AlphaNova ? :-?

Re: I'm confused

scopeguy20 said:
Are we talking NOVA LASERS Alpha series, or The Company- AlphaNova ? :-?

Don't thread skim. Start from the beginning. BTW did you forget the title of the thread that quick ? :-?