Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first DX true 50mW, what does it take to burn..

My first DX true 50mW laser, arrived earler today. So far everyting is working perfekt, and I´m very happy with my laser.

Now I wounderd if there is some way to measure the power, without a power measuring tool.

for exampel what does it take to burn trough electrical tape? according to wickedlasers you need about 95mW. But my burns easly trough the tape.

And what is the best way to focus the beam? an enlargementglas?

// Emil

Re: My first DX true 50mW, what does it take to bu

Most any lens that could focus the sun's light to a point will work much the same for the green laser. Anti-reflection coated is better (has bluish surface reflection). I like a jeweler's loop, but be careful, as the dot gets smaller and more intense and especially if you are close, you could experience permanant eye damage. Get some green laser protection before you lose some sight sensitivity. By the way, "an enlargementglas?" Where are you?

Well i know the TRUE 30mW one can't cut tape (unless you get a really good one) and there have been measurements on the 30 that do confirm its rated power. So its at least more powerful than the 30mW. I have a true 50mW and i love it. ;D The only thing i can't do is light a match unless i take it out of the case then put it directly on the match when my laser is at its peak. But then i have to let it sit for an hour to do that again. It cuts electrical tape very fast and pops balloons at up to 6 feet. My guess is yours can't be too far off of the rated power. It's probably around 60mW but thats just my best guess. My friend bought a true 50 as well and it had almost exactly the same power as mine (just a cleaner lense) so they seem to be pretty consistent.

scopeguy20 said:
Most any lens that could focus the sun's light to a point will work much the same for the green laser. Anti-reflection coated is better (has bluish surface reflection). I like a jeweler's loop, but be careful, as the dot gets smaller and more intense and especially if you are close, you could experience permanant eye damage. Get some green laser protection before you lose some sight sensitivity. By the way, "an enlargementglas?" Where are you?

sorry for my bad english, i´m from sweden.

Thanks! I was querious.  I had two DX 50's (no "True" in description), and one looked twice as bright as the other.  The hotter one was close to my Nova  X-85.