Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first build

Finally completed my c6 build. M140 diode and moh driver at 1.62A no idea what power it is but it is insane! MUCH more powerful than my green laser. I just have a question. The diode and driver is heat sinked but the laser gets quite warm after about 30 secs, is this normal?
Cheers guys.

Dave

Ya, C6's get hot at higher currents,
when it gets hot, just wait a min for it to cool down.

Ahh ok cool, thats what i have been doin ;) also how do you know if the batts are running out?
Thanks again!

Stix62

Finally completed my c6 build. M140 diode and moh driver at 1.62A no idea what power it is but it is insane! MUCH more powerful than my green laser. I just have a question. The diode and driver is heat sinked but the laser gets quite warm after about 30 secs, is this normal?
Cheers guys.

Dave

A good guess at the power output would be 1400-1500mW with a 3 element glass lens at 1.62A.

As justinjja said, the C6's do get very warm at higher currents. A 60 secs on/ 90+ secs off would be a good duty cycle i.m.o.

The best way to know if the batteries are running out is to use a multimeter. Other than that you'll know when they need recharging because you'll go from blazing beam to sod all but a dim dot in a split second. :D

Last edited:
Quick tip: The best way i found out to measure the heat produced in any flashlight is to put it between your upper lip and nose. You can even feel the slightest increase.
Avoid using your hands.

Thanks for the advice guys, i did notice that the laser went from an extremely bright beam to sod all, i was worried that the diode had died. But after a quick recharge it was back to full power.... Phew!
I will post some pics of it when i get back from work ;)

sinner

What batteries are you using.. i dont think ultrafires would provide decent runtimes or even any further current than 1~1.25Amps.

sinner

I see :na: They would last about 25minutes before they need charging..

I am thinking about making a "desktop" laser with water cooling and comp fans. should i use an M140 diode for this as i want to get it over 2W...
Cheers all

I am thinking about making a "desktop" laser with water cooling and comp fans. should i use an M140 diode for this as i want to get it over 2W...
Cheers all

Water cooling is a waste bc these diodes only put out like 10w of heat.
But you could look into a tec setup to keep the diode below ambient , you do have to be cafeful you dont get condensation if using a tec though.

MadEye

Edit: damn you slow iPhone keyboard :D

Hey,

Nice to see you completed your build successful. :)

Desktop lasers, or labbys are nice, but if you have a nice large heat sink with a fan its eneugh to keep an M-140 cold... Even my labby can keep on for 5 minutes without getting a little bit warm (only 1A). If you get a CPU heatsink with fan its eneugh for anything the diode can handle.

You could also do TEC, but these need to be driven or you freeze your diode - which would result in problems with condensation...

Last edited: