Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Blueray just died!

Just wondering is there any way to solder to the connections on the flex cable? Or if you carefully strip the flex cable to expose the copper perhaps it could be inserted into a connector.

Just a thought as to whether is is easily possible to work with the flex cable instead of against it.

That's an excellent suggestion! I fear that the plastic may melt if we try to solder to it but if we could salvage the connector the ribbon plugs into we may have something!

xarylx said:
Just wondering is there any way to solder to the connections on the flex cable? Or if you carefully strip the flex cable to expose the copper perhaps it could be inserted into a connector.

Just a thought as to whether is is easily possible to work with the flex cable instead of against it.

I have a hard time believing that would be reliably usable, long-term.
Practice it if you need to, on an old, dead gadget... But if you have the right tools, it's easy.
22 or 24 gauge wire with perhaps 1/16th of an inch of wire exposed beyond the insulation. Tin it. That is, put solder on it first. Touch it to the solder joint on the circuit board, melting them together. Repeat. You're done.
Do not hold a freshly stripped wire agains that joint and expect to add solder to it like you normally would solder a new component to a fresh board. Too much solder... It'll short to the next pin.
Hope that helps.

marks47 said:
[quote author=xarylx link=1195437448/15#16 date=1195548155]Just wondering is there any way to solder to the connections on the flex cable? Or if you carefully strip the flex cable to expose the copper perhaps it could be inserted into a connector.

I have a hard time believing that would be reliably usable, long-term.
Practice it if you need to, on an old, dead gadget... But if you have the right tools, it's easy.
22 or 24 gauge wire with perhaps 1/16th of an inch of wire exposed beyond the insulation. Tin it. That is, put solder on it first.   Touch it to the solder joint on the circuit board, melting them together.  Repeat.  You're done.
Do not hold a freshly stripped wire agains that joint and expect to add solder to it like you normally would solder a new component to a fresh board. Too much solder... It'll short to the next pin.
Hope that helps.[/quote]

Heh...yeah not reliably usable long term. Guess that's why manufacturers don't use them anymore ;)