Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MXDL Over 300mW! (LPM Reading Video pg. 2)

jayrob said:
I didn't know those were 3 ohm resistors! I guess I'll save them now, instead of thrwoing them away! Hey nice job with the MXDL. I'll let you know shortly what the power is with the Meredith glass lens. What DVD was your open can from?
Jay

That's why I mentioned it.. I'm a pack rat and save almost everything.

The two open can LDs I have are from LG 18x DVD Burners. These are the two open can LDs "The Monk" was selling for $52. I'm very pleased with the deal. :)

jayrob

I will be very interested to know what you think of the open can.

Yes yes...DDL, please post back, or start a new thread of your findings when you test this Pioneer 112D open can diode!
Jay

jayrob

That's why I mentioned it..  I'm a pack rat and save almost everything.

The two open can LDs I have are from LG 18x DVD Burners.  These are the two open can LDs "The Monk" was selling for $52.  I'm very pleased with the deal.  

I can see why you are happy with that deal! Thanks for the information...I went digging and found a resistor off of an MXDL and finished my MXDL 300. Here are some pictures of the build...
MXDL 300 1.jpg

It was a pretty tight fit with all of the components fitting right onto the MXDL circuit board...
MXDL 300 2.jpg

I wanted to build it this way if I could, since I am using the Meredith module for this one, and I like being able to remove the LD from the module for replacement if necessary. And didn't want the silicon diode and the cap soldered at the LD...
MXDL 300 3.jpg

This circuit, using a 3 ohm resistor (MXDL stock), puts out 421mA. Using the Meredith glass lens, this baby cranks out over 300mW!

So, the title of this thread, turned out to be an accurate description after all!
Jay

Gazoo

Wow...nice work guys. Looks like I am going to have to order a couple of MDXL lights. One for a laser and the other to do that LED mod. I have gotten fairly good with these circuits, but I have yet to mount anything in a host.. ;D

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Wow...nice work guys. Looks like I am going to have to order a couple of MDXL lights. One for a laser and the other to do that LED mod. I have gotten fairly good with these circuits, but I have yet to mount anything in a host.. ;D

You will really like the MXDL! Tell you what I'm going to do Gazoo. I'll turn out an MXDL heatsink for you if you want one. (I don't have time to do this for everybody, so please forgive) You have been very helpful, (not to mention patient) and I am very happy with my latest projects that you have helped me with. Just let me know weather you want it for a Meredith, or an AixiZ module and PM me your shipping address. My guess is, you will choose the Meredith!...
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1199846835/60#67 date=1200346788]Wow...nice work guys. Looks like I am going to have to order a couple of MDXL lights. One for a laser and the other to do that LED mod. I have gotten fairly good with these circuits, but I have yet to mount anything in a host.. ;D

You will really like the MXDL! Tell you what I'm going to do Gazoo. I'll turn out an MXDL heatsink for you if you want one. (I don't have time to do this for everybody, so please forgive) You have been very helpful, (not to mention patient) and I am very happy with my latest projects that you have helped me with. Just let me know weather you want it for a Meredith, or a AixiZ module and PM me your shipping address. My guess is, you will choose the Meredith!...
Jay
[/quote]

sighs...

lol, i cant wait for my MXDL now, i ordered one and a set of AMC7135's a while back, and im waiting for my card so i can order an open can from "the monk", he gave me a preety good offer.

regards,

amk

Gazoo

Thanks Jay...I really appreciate the offer and am definitely going to take you up on it. :) In fact I was thinking about asking you if you would and I would be willing to pay you. I will send you a PM...thanks.. :) And yes you guessed right...the meredith.

I noticed the MXDL is on backorder at DX. Does anyone know where else I can get them?

edited...oops, maybe it isn't. Jay can you please post the link to the one I am supposed to get...thanks.

Gazoo said:
Thanks Jay...I really appreciate the offer and am definitely going to take you up on it.  :) In fact I was thinking about asking you if you would and I would be willing to pay you. I will send you a PM...thanks.. :) And yes you guessed right...the meredith.

I noticed the MXDL is on backorder at DX. Does anyone know where else I can get them?

edited...oops, maybe it isn't. Jay can you please post the link to the one I am supposed to get...thanks.

the link is in the "build your own laser torch" thread, or here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4171

jay, if you set up a thing where we can buy heatsinks off of you, id be the first one interested...

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Thanks Jay...I really appreciate the offer and am definitely going to take you up on it.  :) In fact I was thinking about asking you if you would and I would be willing to pay you. I will send you a PM...thanks.. :) And yes you guessed right...the meredith.

The link that amk posted is the MXDL model that I am using. This is the one that DDL posted in his original post about the DIY Laser Torch.
amk, I'm not that fast as a machinist and it takes me about 1/2 an hour to make one (plus material and clean up). So, I wouldn't feel good about having to ask about $20 a piece to make these, it would be very time consuming for me. I guess if someone really wanted one bad enough to pay $20 bucks plus shipping. But, like I said, I think it is too expensive!
Jay

Gazoo

Thanks. I am very much looking forward to this project and I will place my order with DX soon. Having a 300mw hand held laser sounds like a lot of fun to me...lol

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Thanks. I am very much looking forward to this project and I will place my order with DX soon. Having a 300mw hand held laser sounds like a lot of fun to me...lol

Just a couple of tips on the MXDL:
mod1.jpg

The little treaded aluminum driver mount for the MXDL is already made for an emitter, so the Cree mod, is just replacing the driver and the emitter. (http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1194770080) You will notice, that the driver that the MXDL comes with, is grounded to the aluminum treaded holder. Just take note of this circuit.
mod3.jpg

Now take a close look at the aluminum driver/emitter mount. The top (flat) aluminum surface has been removed (drilled/grinded) to allow room for mounting the LM317 and components. Use the small round circuit board that the MXDL comes with to mount the LM317 and components. Just take note of how the stock circuit is set up...which is the positive lead and so forth. You will find it easy... You could also solder the silicon diode and cap at the LD. This is how DDL first showed it in his thread linked below. Just check the amount of room inside when determining this...
Jay

P.S. DDL has some good pictures of inside the MXDL on this first page of his DIY Laser Torch thread:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870

Gazoo

Thanks Jay, I fully understand and I am sure those tips will be helpful to everyone... :)

Gazoo said:
Thanks Jay, I fully understand and I am sure those tips will be helpful to everyone... :)

Nice, i may have to make another one. I did one following DDL's thread, and looks like a DIY. Jay's looks professionally built.

jayrob

Nice, i may have to make another one.  I did one following DDL's thread, and looks like a DIY.  Jay's looks professionally built.
Thanks desslok...

Well, I like this open can/MXDL set up so much, that I built another one the exact same, except with an AixiZ acrylic lens...just so the Meredith MXDL 300 wouldn't get lonely...
MXDL open can pair.jpg

Here is a video of a nice match burn using the Aixiz acrylic! The distance wasn't real far... 4 feet. You can see that the matches ignited instantaneously! (except for the 2 that my aim was slightly off)
[media width=640]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt-UpNOGRug[/media]
I'm sure there are many of us who answer in a similar tone to laser questions from the wife...
Jay

Gazoo

I guess a lonely laser would be an unhappy laser...lol. I can't wait till I get mine assembled.

jayrob

Hey I got some 2.7 ohm, 1 watt resistors today. So, I changed out the 3 ohm resistor in my MXDL 300 and tried it out! The new current measures at 468mA's. The power is now 328.3mW's. This is with the Pioneer 112D open can diode, and a Meredith glass lens. Just to show the difference here... When this LD dies, I will probably change the driver back to a 3 ohm resistor. It feels like the 20mW gain is not that much for a 47mA change in current. Now, if I had a really HOT diode like Gazoo got recently, then we're talking! But for the 'normal' open cans, I really think the 420mA area is the 'sweet spot', like we had discussed before...
Jay

P.S. In case you didn't see it, I'm selling these heatsinks now:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202452073

Attachments

• MXDL_open_can_-_5.jpg
    MXDL_open_can_-_5.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 98