Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MS-SSW-II / NDG7475 Build Review

I recently won an auction on eBay for a new NDG7475 diode and decided to put it into a special host I had been saving for several years. It is the MS-SSW-II host from sinner also known as sinner's secret weapon. This is a large host which takes two 26650 batteries. I wanted to drive it at 2 amps, but didn't have a driver set for that current, so I went back into my stock and used one of my continuous ground adjustable X-Drives from Lazeerer. These have been unavailable for over two years. This laser measures 1100 mW and is quite heavy in the hand.

I want to thank BowtieGuy for his assistance with this build as the MS-SSW-II is a press fit host with no set screw. I have used it before and it is great except if you ever need to replace the diode. Jeff converted the heat sink on this one to one with a set screw and also polished it and sent me taps and drill bits for two different set screws plus the set screws and allen wrenches. This build would not have worked out nearly as well without his help and I greatly appreciate it.

The first photo is of the heat sink with the diode pressed into a 12 mm module and inserted in the heat sink. You can see the size of it from the 12 mm module inside the heat sink.
CS89BMQl.jpg

After setting the driver to two amps I decided to adhere it to the inside of the pill with Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive. I had to drill a new hole for a ground screw and then clamp the driver's IC to the inside of the pill to allow it to set up.
Pst7Iv9l.jpg

Here is a shot of all the host parts dissembled while the adhesive is curing.
XOMRVfQl.jpg

Here is a picture of the driver in the pill. Notice I added a small heat sink to the inductor as it runs hots too.
bJ7QrZ5l.jpg

here I have installed the positive spring for the battery connection. The pill on this host screws into the battery tube making it part of the total heat sink.
J7pWn24l.jpg

With everything finished and tested on my power supply, I assembled the host and added a 520nm sticker then installed two fully charged 26650 batteries.
0wrIFvwl.jpg

I tried an indoor beam shot, but at 1100 mW it was so bright, even in the well lit room, that the photo was overexposed.
QSVG5x8l.jpg

It was getting quite late out, but I managed to take a quick beam shot outside on my porch. I had the laser in one hand and my camera in the other.
xsMAP2el.jpg

Thank you for looking over my newest laser. I hope you enjoyed looking as much as I enjoyed building and reviewing. :yh:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Re: MS-SSW-II/NDG774 Build Review

Very nice build Paul, it's been a long time since I've seen these Sinner MS-SSW hosts being used in builds; I've got the short "stubby" version of this, and always wished that I had the full sized model to go with it.

Thanks for all the "in-process" pics, Paul, it's always interesting to see the many different ways we go about getting to the finished product! :yh:
:gj:

PS - Now you know what your room would look like if you decide to paint it green! :crackup:

Last edited:
:crackup: Yeah, I guess I do. I think I'll leave the paint white. Green just doesn't do it for me. This laser has a lot of heft to it with the batteries installed. It is extremely bright too, as you mentioned, Jeff. :thanks:

Thanks for sharing your work! I'm not sure why-but I do like the 520 nm color over the 532 nm.

:crackup: Yeah, I guess I do. I think I'll leave the paint white. Green just doesn't do it for me. This laser has a lot of heft to it with the batteries installed. It is extremely bright too, as you mentioned, Jeff. :thanks:

NDG7574-you write wrong.hahaha

I had a number missing earlier in the title, but fixed it 40 minutes before you posted this. I looked through it again. Don't see an error, but if there is one let me know where.

@Pelagius

I like both of them. This one is 1100 mW, but I have a 532nm one that puts out 1350 mW. It has a tighter beam and is TEC temperature controlled, so it is very stable. The beam is so small it will burn you instantly if you get any part of you in front of it.

Last edited:
I like that host! That Big sink and the extra attention to the driver (mounted to pill and the addituinal tiny sink) are what make this thing very nice, IMO.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Lew. The driver I used has not been available for awhile. I bought several from Angelos years ago and had two unused ones left in my stock. I used one for this build. I like this driver for case negative diodes because it has a continuous ground. There are two resistors on it that can be shorted together to change the range of its adjustability. Normally I wouldn't use such a rare driver for a build like this, but I didn't have any 2 amp drivers in my stock and no one is around to buy one from. The table on the pill is quite thick at ~4 mm. And it also screws into the battery tube making that whole section a heat sink. I am glad that you like it. :D

Last edited:
Nice build, Paul!!:lasergun:
That thing is a cannon for sure!! I love it. Thanks for sharing, and hats off to Jeff for the great work!
With those 26650 cells, you should get some good run time.
SGD:beer:

Thanks, Josh. I think it should run quite awhile between charges, but that remains to be seen. This is identical to DTR's first build with this diode. He called his The Hulk. Same host and everything. Thanks for having a look and for your gracious comments.

I’ll have my Green Stielhandgranate soon :love:
Sent my host back to Rich for a lil tweeking.
I can’t wait:LOL::poop:
SGD<———I guess no beer here anymore(n)