Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Motorcycle mounted safety lasers

Not as illegal as driving 150MPH, zig zagging between cars and purposefully looking for cops to antagonize!

Quite true. Went a little off topic there.

In fact, if you watch some of his long distant trips, where he drives from one country to another at full throttle, he uses cop wig wags to get cars to move out of his way. They dont show you that, but its obvious because most of the cars he approaches brakes, and moves out of the way.

I'm not saying this would be ok for privately owned vehicles, but I remembered a Youtube video I found and had posted elsewhere when I saw this topic again as there are vehicles that actually use green lasers for a practicle purpose - snow plows - to help the driver align the plow blade to the edge of the road during snowstorms in low visibility, so I thought you'd all enjoy this video also since it basically relates to this topic in general -

Last edited:

Benm

Are you even allowed to use additional lights on public roads at all in the US?

In europe its generally not allowed to use any extra lights to a car or motorcycle. Afaik the only exception are fog lights, that can be turned on on public roads if visibility is under 200 meters (front) or 50 meters (rear).

I suppose you could get away with some decoration in practise, but adding lasers would be putting this a couple of steps too far.

Its different from state to state. I dont think there are any federal laws on adding additional lights to a vehicle.

MojoLA

Yeah there are plenty of trucks out there with so many headlights/fog lights/etc, they look like frakking UFOs from behind.

I *wish* there was a limit!

Anyway I used to ride a bike too and it just comes down to the fact that, sadly, it's pretty much your responsibility to be careful and aware of who can and cannot see you. The biggest problem I ever had (and I'm sure it's true for most) was drivers next to me changing lanes and getting ready to plow into me. Even a laser canon wouldn't help you there - you just have to make sure you're not driving in anyone's blind spot and, if you have no choice because of traffic, just keep your hand on the horn and watch the vehicles around you like a hawk.

A hawk with laser vision.

Ultimately, no biker should rely on lights or gimmicks to be seen - you just have to drive defensively and assume NO ONE sees you.

That being said, the personal light show is still FUN...

Cheech

So this pattern spinning behind and in front of your bike wouldn't work.
200922219138321.jpg

I'll update with pic's soon.
5mw so don't everyone get there panties all in a bundle at once.
Every color but red and blue is legal in Florida.

MojoLA

It would work quite well at two things:

1. Making you look silly
2. Getting pulled over by police a lot.

Cheech

I'm a has been 25 year old stunt rider. I now ride scooters that look like 1980's waverunners...
"1. Making you look silly"
The only way I have to go is up.

ok not to be rude or anything but this thread is waaaaay off topic now and i dont think the OP is even here any more