Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MORONS!

suiraM

We had a similar incident up here recently.

I've been trying to get some enthusiasts to get behind the idea of the laser community setting up some modules to detect beams and report the data for triangulation. Laser light of sufficient intensity to be seen by a pilot (unless someone manages to hit a target of less than 7mmØ, moving at 500+ kph, and track it for at least a few milliseconds, in itself indicating that they're qualified to do work on MTHEL instead) will have significant scattering, so the beam will be visible to a webcam sitting behind an interference filter or using a diffraction grating. A quick twist of the interference filter, or analysis with the grating, will reveal whether it's a laser or a high intensity flashlight.

That way, it wouldn't matter if these are laser beams or not, as the police would both see that the community distances itself from such acts, and they would see that it (most likely) wasn't an actual laser, unless it was, in which case they would have the triangulation data fast enough to respond. Doesn't take more than one high-profile case with lights, sirens and multiple cars on the scene in minutes, followed by some charges of attempted mass murder, to get the point across to anyone thinking about shining a beam at a plane, thereby securing our hobby and establishing our credibility as a responsible community.

Unfortunately, the community doesn't distance itself from this with anything but words, so we silently condone it as a matter of definition.

The correct response is obviously to outlaw our hobby, if only going by the evidence, particularly considering that it's got near zero utility as far as anyone in a legislative position is concerned, which is pretty much how anything ever gets outlawed: it becomes a problem that nobody does anything about, and is only of limited benefit to a few people, so the socially correct response by conventional doctrine is to outlaw it if possible. It's not as if outlawing lasers is likely to result in another Al Capone.

Oh, well...

Your title should be ASSHOLES!!!! instead of MORONS! as you were being way too kind to this group of single brain celled freaks.
Maybe we have to keep repeating it for the dim witted jerkoffs:
NEVER, EVER, EVER SHINE A LASER AT ANYONE! THAT ESPECIALLY INCLUDES MOVING VEHICLES!!!
Man, that idiotic behavior pisses me off!

originalbigT said:
they mentioned the terrorist title to me, that's how they're treating incoming pakages marked laser. They're likley running my name through the system. [highlight]Good thing all my crimes are bike related[/highlight].

Good one... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ROFL... ;D ;D