Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Monitor... can i do anything with it?

Hey everyone! I've heard about there being diodes in things like playstations and laser printers and so this made me kinda curious... My computer screen just broke or doesn't turn on or something and so I was gonna take it apart but wondered if there was something cool I could get out of it. If you know then please reply as soon as you can because I'm gonna wait to open it up just incase I brake something.

btw... mods: can you please not move this one yet as I'd like to get a few relpies before you move it to other or something since those threads aren't as popular as the "general" section of this forum. Thanks!  ;)

heres a pic of it...

Attachments

• DSC00852.JPG
    DSC00852.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 90

S

SenKat

All the areas with new posts show up with yellow checks - but this really has nothing to do with lasers, so it got scooted to where it where it belongs. It was nothing personal on his part - you shouldn't take it that way at all - it's our job as mods to keep things organized for c0ldshadow - kinda make his life easier.

Now - to answer your original question - Not too much useful in there that I can think of - are you SURE it's dead ? most of the circuitry in there will be Surface mount, and too tiny to muck with. The inverter board (if it isn't blown) can be fun for voltage experiments...

yea turns out I can't even open it. The plastic is like glued together or something even when I unscrew everything...

tatman

u can open it easily by using a soldreing iron like a knife...but u won't find much of any use inside. i'm not sure why, but i don't like to throw away the relays (usualy 5v) but there won't be more than a couple of those and u may have no use 4 them.

L

laser

i think he meant something useful for lasers, as in a laser diode, like something you can find in a dvd player. but im pretty sure theres nothing like that in a simple moniter.

oh and, if its really dead, and theres nothing useful in it, you dont need to be delicate when opening it.. ;D ... i mean it should be fun if you use a hammer or something. maybe try a big ledge, like the one outside your bedroom.... ;) ;) .

nah only joking. thats what i would do anyway...

S

SenKat

You can pry it open with a flat edge screw driver - also, look for any screws hidden under stickers - they are sneaky like that ! You may have to remove it from the stand first...

Yea there actually were screws under a sticker! I tried taking off the stand but the screws can only be taken out from the inside. How dumb is that?! :-?

T

timelord

Toyboy what did you think you was gonna do with it???

Im not really sure but I guess that I heard that there were diodes in laser printers and PS3s so I was wondering if theres was anything like that in a plasma monitor. Kinda wild idea I gues... :p

S

SenKat

no worries, man - chalk it up as a learning experience !  Have some fun - I dissassemble EVERYHTING that breaks ! That is how you learn ;)

T

timelord

Well troyboy as senkat says put it down to experience try not to break everything you touch. So before you break something maybe ask a few questions first ;D It could get expensive. I'm gonna lock this thread as the mystery has been solved :D