Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modding a WL CORE into an IR burner.

I have a completely free Core that has horrible beam specs (mode hops, beam is so far from aligned that it's half blocked by the edge of the lens, lot of internal reflection spray, etc) and I'd like to see about removing the DPSS module and leaving in only the diode assembly (which should be ~200mW I hear) and collimating lens.

Does anyone know how to open the WL Core/Exec type lasers? Or how the module is placed inside the barrel (wedged, screwed, glued, etc)? Any hints, tips, or info is greatly appreciated.

I have IR OD5 goggles so safety isn't an issue. I won't be able to see the 808nm at all, lol, but, I'll be safe.

Attachments

• freecoretail2.jpg
    freecoretail2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 131

If you just got the Core then I would RMA it to WL. Man what a bunch of poorly orchestrated people at Wicked Lasers.

I got this core for free (shipping included) so I'm not about to pay to ave it fixed. I have another core that works perfectly fine anyway, just figured it might actually serve a purpose via IR burner.

I don't think I'll have a problem removing the right parts and re-aligning the diode to collimator, I just have no idea how to open the damn thing up.

Things

there is a ring around the aperature right? if so, just remove that somehow :D

Lol yeah, I've tried twisting it off, prying it off, and using a razor blade to wedge it off but it won't budge, and I want it to go back together after I finish toying with it's innards, lol.

Daedal

The problem with these units is that they are very hard to get to with their tiny tip. The trick is to be very patient and wedge a sharp object such as a blade in there and keep turning it until the 'lid' starts to let loose. Then the bigger the opening the bigger item you'd want to use... such as a kitchen or steak knife, then the back of the knife, and lastly a flathead screwdriver ;)

Another option, if you can get it to work, is to use the wooden dowel solution :p

--DDL

ah, thank a ton!

I managed to get it off by using both a knife and a pair of heavy duty pliers at the same time. It seems to have fixed the beam obstruction problem, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

If I decided to pull out the collimation unit how hard would it be to put it back correctly?