Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Modding a CHP Laser Dazzler

Hi all

So I have this "friend" and he wants to mod a CHP Laser Dazzler. He said he would like to dissect it and come out with 4 separate pointer type/weapon mountable pieces powered by CR123s.

Any help for my friend would be great!
D

CHPPhotoLabled.jpg

Why can't "your friend" just buy 4 separate lasers with beam expander instead of disassembling a working device?

Last edited:
The dazzler in its current configuration is too strong and cannot be used as such. Also why not let 4 different users have a weapon mounted laser that CAN be used rather than 1 guy have the CHP that CAN'T be used? It's just a temp fix to a political problem.....

Benm

Depends on whats actually in it. Its rated 500 mW, i assume that means 4 modules of 125 mW each... but what those modules are like hard to determine without opening it up. Also, you'd probably need different driver circuitry, making this endeavour hardly worthwhile.

The dazzler in its current configuration is too strong and cannot be used as such. Also why not let 4 different users have a weapon mounted laser that CAN be used rather than 1 guy have the CHP that CAN'T be used? It's just a temp fix to a political problem.....

How is it "too strong"? The manufacturer rates is as being eye safe within a certain range. If you stay within the recommended ranges, it should work fine... Also, how do you know it's 4 separate lasers and not one big one with a beam expander?

Last edited:
making this endeavour hardly worthwhile.

Thank you for your candor. This was the answer I was looking for. So this will go into a desk somewhere and the search is on for inexpensive but strong mountable lasers. The military would rather spend it money on stupid uniforms instead of giving us what we really need to accomplish our missions.

D

Reactions: ARG
500 mw is very strong for a handheld and can run up to 5k but as low as 750.00 us
depends opn your preference ,it may be four separate 125 mW units thats kinda unfocused any cni green or even your 50 mw china unit can have the last lense removed to make a large green spotlight i know cause ive had lenses fall off before lol
i bet that it flashes because you can get more output from a pulsed i believe
i may be wrong and will quickly be corrected theres a lot of knoledgable people on here im in the mmiddle lol

Reactions: ARG

Benm

Thank you for your candor. This was the answer I was looking for. So this will go into a desk somewhere and the search is on for inexpensive but strong mountable lasers. The military would rather spend it money on stupid uniforms instead of giving us what we really need to accomplish our missions.

Well, the problem is that they purchased an unusable device in the first place, and i'm sure its a big waste of money.

I assume it contains 4 separate 125 mW laser units, because it has 4 output lenses. It could have 1 laser that is split into 4 beams, but since on single 500 mW laser is more expensive then 4 125 mW ones, the latter seems logical.

But regardless of what the unit has cost originally, the best you can harvest from it are 4 125 mW lasers. The optics probably are fixed for this 4 laser configuration and would have to be re-mounted etc.

It would probably be best to sell this device as a whole. 125 mW laser modules will cost you in the order of $100 each, and dont have the driver that flashes them. I'm sure the dazzler would sell for $400 easily - and prob fetch a lot more when auctioned off.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You could sell that CHP to someone here on the forum and then buy a bunch of 35~50mW green pens for your squad?

It may flash like that for two reasons that I could think of. It could be so that it does not exceed a certain average output power that could really damage someone's eye. Or maybe it could be that it is more effective as a disorienting weapon if it flashes, kinda strobe light, drives people crazy with the flashing (and gives them seizures!). Either way it is probably part of the driver circuit that does the flashing and would be really hard to remove unless you were really good with electronics (certainly beyond my skills).

Benm

You'd have to rebuild the driver probably, but as long as you can tell what current is required that still is a doable job.

If you are looking for lasers to use as weapon sights, i'd seriously consider red diode based lasers. Most green laser assemblies will not be able to tolerate the shock/recoil for very long. In this dazzler they might because of the added weight of the dazzler and perhaps dampening material inside... but if you just bolted them to a gun rail, chances are they would fail at some point.