Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Minimum mw for laser that can light match without black.

Lumijek

I got my replacement green assassin laser about 2 days ago and I was doing some testing and I found out that it($8 laser) can light a match without me having to put black onto it in under 3 seconds. Also the match is green. I don't have a lpm so I am asking you guys. What is the minimum mW of my laser? 532nm - Can light green match - under 3 seconds.

Also what safety glasses should I get? I am not getting any lasers above 200 - 300mw so I prefer the safety glasses to be on the cheaper side(under $20) as I am not investing a lot of time into lasers.

Last edited:

Encap

I got my replacement green assassin laser about 2 days ago and I was doing some testing and I found out that it($8 laser) can light a match without me having to put black onto it in under 3 seconds. Also the match is green. I don't have a lpm so I am asking you guys. What is the minimum mW of my laser? 532nm - Can light green match - under 3 seconds.

Also what safety glasses should I get? I am not getting any lasers above 200 - 300mw so I prefer the safety glasses to be on the cheaper side(under $20) as I am not investing a lot of time into lasers.

Good you were able to get a replacement.

No way to know what the output is without an LPM test of it.
Nobody is going to know what mW output at the focal point you used is to light your green match.4
Is like asking what is the tire pressure is of any tire with air in it.

They are mass produced items, low cost and quality. Typical output is 50mW to 8omW.

When you focus your laser at a couple of inches from your match the power density of the beam is quite high which allows it to light the match. I used to do it with white matches, using all sorts of small handheld lasers from 70 mW up to 150 mW. I have been out of matches for awhile now as the novelty of lighting matches with lasers wore off years ago.

GSS

^^^^^all above^^^^
I was always very curious of power numbers when I was new to lasers but like Paul said alot has to do with the tight focus point..
Are you using thick or smaller wooden matches or the little book paper ones. The little book ones are easier to light and even better if they are green tipped.
At 70mw's I find it very hard to light wooden matches and can only get the sulfur smell..
If you want to hear a number I would think your replacement is doing about 80mw.
Those red lensed HDE glasses should be ok.

Post a pic of the laser most 532nm are around 100mW IR once it hits the crystal your output is around 30mW /50mW 70%drop depends on the laser and what IR diode the used i measured once long time ago a 532nm ( $8 Laser ) i removed the crystal and the output was around 100mW to 108mW once i placed the crystal back the output was sometimes 30mW to 38mW :unsure: