Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mini Temperature Sensor

nztdm

I had an idea that a mini temperature sensor would be very useful for inside laser hosts. Its just an idea at the moment but I have some parts on the way.

Basically, it will consist of:
SMD PICAXE 08M/08M2 Microcontroller
DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor on thin leads (TO-92 package)
4.7k SMD Resistor (needed for temp sensor)
78L05 SMD Voltage Regulator
Mini piezo buzzer

OR to save a little space, I could use a thermistor on leads (i have some tiny thermistors)
This will need a 10k SMD resistor instead of 4.7k
10k SMD trimpot for calibration

Basically it will come to about $8.50

The largest part is the buzzer. It's about 1cm diameter and 0.7cm high.
I know tiny SMD piezo buzzers exist but I cannot source them in small amounts. (Plz let me know where I can find some)

For single cell builds, I can just forego the voltage regulator as the PICAXE runs fine off of 3-5V.
However, with these varying voltages, thermistor readings could vary which causes all the more reason to use the DS18B20 digital sensor. If you can fit a TO-92, you should use the digital sensor.

My plan is, to make it constantly beep at an agreed upon temperature for when I program the chip. :whistle:

Also I have not done SMD soldering before but I learn quick. :thinking:

Tell me if you think anyone would be interested.

1) the thermistor will be MUCH smaller than the TO-92 device.
2) an LED will be MUCH smaller than a buzzer.
3) normal sized hosts already take up most of the free space
in a host so the circuit MUST be made Ultra Small.
4) a good idea just the same....:beer:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Why stop there? Add in voice recognition, finger print security, and solitaire while you're at it.

Why stop there? Add in voice recognition, finger print security, and solitaire while you're at it.

I can't understand how this would help in protecting for overtemperature ;)
....a built in game would be good though :beer: Solitaire is a bit boring, Monopoly would be much better:D

Yeah.... why use a current regulated driver... Just use a resistor...:crackup::crackup::beer:

Jerry

Last edited:

DrSid

Why use resistor ? Select proper battery and go direct !

^^^ There you go....:D
@ nztdm...

never let naysayers interrupt your train of thought...
If you think it is a good idea... I say go for it..:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:
I can't understand how this would help in protecting for overtemperature ;)

voice recognition and finger print verification to over-ride the shutoff, and solitaire to play while you wait for it to cool.

LEDs are boring.

nztdm

Thats just boring.

With a micro controller, you could have a slow flash for 'approaching temp' limit, solid for 'at limit' and then if temp continues to rise an auto power off.

That sounds like a good idea. I could even make it a bi-colour LED.

Yeah.... why use a current regulated driver... Just use a resistor..

A 78L05 SMD is miniscule, and will provide 5V out even if the input is 8.4V which it could get up to with 2 Li-Ions. And I didnt know it limited current? I thought it just kept voltage at 5V or have I understood them wrong?
For a single cell host, the PICAXE can run fine off as little as 3V up to a very maximum of 5.2V.

Why use resistor ? Select proper battery and go direct !

Do you mean add another battery?. That will take way too much space and will be a hassle to replace. The circuit will only draw barely milliamps from the main batteries anyway.

I can't understand how this would help in protecting for overtemperature
....a built in game would be good though Solitaire is a bit boring, Monopoly would be much better

How could you play monopoly with one LED?! Morse code?

voice recognition and finger print verification to over-ride the shutoff, and solitaire to play while you wait for it to cool.

LEDs are boring.

PT-54 is not boring xD Maybe that can be the overheat light. Will overheat it even more. :eg:

Feel free to suggest ideas for what the LED will do. Maybe it could just flash real slow when its cold and flash faster as it heats up.

Last edited:
Yeah sure, PT-54s make great indicator lamps. I Prefer half-megawatt carbon arcs for my "on" indicator though.

I wonder what a light like that one costs ?

Well only 3k I think I'll get one for the stern and one for the poop deck of my new yacht :crackup:

:thinking: maybe I should put one on the bow also...

"Short Arc" On Indicator Ver 2
attachment.php

Edit: 4,000 Watt High Pressure Xenon Short Arc Search Light

Last edited:

nztdm

Heres a layout for the single-cell build. This is a minimal layout with no calibration trimpot, that will just have to be programmed as good as possible.
The pin that the GREEN side of the bi-colour LED is on, supports PWM output, which means I can make the LED display any colour between red and green such as yellow and orange.

It is very tiny at 8.4mm X 10.6mm

33kgagy.png

i dont know how high the chips sits atop the pcb but i MAY be able to put one of the resistors under the chip reducing the size by about another 25%

And here is the board for the 2 cell version which needs the voltage regulation circuit.
It measures 12mm X 16mm

2ns0saw.jpg

Last edited:
Great job nztdm,

I was thinking of making a linear driver controlled by microcontroller so that I could select modes (like the flashlight drivers).
if I go ahead, I'll include your idea of the the temp sensor and LED indicator.
+1

ATB
MM