Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mini stage lighting show

aiello

Out of interest I got one of these units which come in a metal enclosure housing a 50mW 650nm red diode and a 110 mW 532 dpss in a heatsink. This goes into a dichroic mirror, a first stage 'star' filter with motor rotation, and exiting via a second multi-star filter, producing hundereds of moving red and green spots, that sometimes converge into a 'fireworks' type of pattern.

It also has a microphone for sound response, several speeds/patterns, a power adapter, a cooling fan, a tripod and a remote control. The result is quite basic of course, but the amazing thing is that these are sold for about 10 bucks! You'd probably have to pay more for an empty metal enclosure with a cooling fan.

Crazy...

Last edited:

I think you may be the last one to find these--been around forever- no idea how they make much profit.. cheapest 'yellow'- great for small lumia PJ.
But as-is pretty boring soon.

AFAIK these get free shipping (by China) to USA.
so that helps some to make profit.

aiello

When you say yellow, is there a way to modify it to combine the red and green into one beam? I'd like that instead of the boring moving pattern!

search knife edge--puts them very close
filter that passes red & reflects green.
cube that does the same==& and some allow adding blue to the mix.==makes 'white'--
short answer there is :NO --- no easy way to combine different (RGB) wavelenghts 100% perfectly. cube is IMO closest. fun stuff
-we want pics PLZ
hak

Last edited:

aiello

It works using a combiner passing green and reflecting red, see pic, producing two parallel beams (not sure how parallel). Hopefully the position of the green in the heatsink can be changed to make them coincide. Might be fiddly!

Attachments

• Show1.jpg
    Show1.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Show2.jpg
    Show2.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Show3.jpg
    Show3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
since few diodes produce them same 'spot' size and shape---a
perfect (R+G) yellow dot ect is not easily doable--
MYB combining HeNes could be possible---as far as there someday be cheap yellow ?
Until a huge demand happens the price will be the same ---I gave Sam iirc $300 (+ a
Casio M140 sans diodes ).. for my 6mW w/o power supply-still a fair price IMHO
and MUCH brighter than i expected--plus no rest cycle needed.

aiello

Update: it was not difficult to make the beams temporarily perfectly coinicide by moving/bending the red diode holder. Problem is the green is overpowering the red, so there's not much difference.

The lasers are staged nicely though in this unit, so it's an interesting exercise! Maybe I could add a control for the current to the green and have this as a green/red fixed beam. It's got some power...