Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Melles Griot 05-LHR-111 wiring problem

YMMV but I haven't had much trouble yet. Some laser heads have the caps held on with screws. Melles Griot heads have them glued on but a bit of heat and some careful prying can extract them without damage. There may be potted heads too but I haven't found one yet. Splices can be done, I just try to avoid it.

YMMV but I haven't had much trouble yet. Some laser heads have the caps held on with screws. Melles Griot heads have them glued on but a bit of heat and some careful prying can extract them without damage. There may be potted heads too but I haven't found one yet. Splices can be done, I just try to avoid it.

Yeah, I'm going to try that maybe. Any idea what temperature would work? It would seem rather the modest of heat would do the trick.

I just kinda used intuition. Heat it up hot, but not so hot that it melts the plastic. You want to expand the aluminum slightly and soften the adhesive, just a bit too hot to touch. What I do is take a utility knife and push the edge between the plastic and aluminum to separate the parts slightly, then work my way around. At that point I can pull by hand and wiggle until the cap comes out.

I just kinda used intuition. Heat it up hot, but not so hot that it melts the plastic. You want to expand the aluminum slightly and soften the adhesive, just a bit too hot to touch. What I do is take a utility knife and push the edge between the plastic and aluminum to separate the parts slightly, then work my way around. At that point I can pull by hand and wiggle until the cap comes out.

Would it be the rear, or front end cap I would take off?

Depends what you're trying to do. If you want to replace the cord, remove the rear cap.