Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Megalaser replacement lens

Yates

Hi.

First time posting so if this is in the wrong section I apologise!

I bought a 50mw 532nm laser from megalaseruk years ago and I now need a new lens. I think the one they supply is acrylic although I'd prefer glass if possible. It looks fuzzy on the surface so I stupidly tried to clean it but I've made it worse!
It looks like this lens in the link below

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Steve

Anthony P

I had a pen laser like that long ago. They are difficult if not impossible to get apart without damage. I would just buy a new one as green pen lasers are very cheap these days.
Also, you might want to post a welcome thread that tells about yourself. I don't care, but some people around here get grouchy if you don't. Also it is easier to answer questions when people know who and where they are talking to.

Reactions: GSS
These little 532nm AAA battery lasers are available on eBay for a couple of bucks each. I don't know how difficult it might be to get them into the UK, but I know other members living there that have them.

GSS

I had a pen laser like that long ago. They are difficult if not impossible to get apart without damage. I would just buy a new one as green pen lasers are very cheap these days.
Also, you might want to post a welcome thread that tells about yourself. I don't care, but some people around here get grouchy if you don't. Also it is easier to answer questions when people know who and where they are talking to.
You had a exact MegaLaserUK unit like the OP? I don't know if they are just way over priced typical ebay units with a touch of brass for good looks, or built with superior crystals and QC like Optotronic's for example? The higher priced 532's do have a IR filter.
If they are selling replacement lenses than I would think it's more or less taking off the front brass piece carefully:unsure: On a $50 unit that might not be garbage I would try it. I would hate to not use a nice unit.

Yates, you don't need a glass lens for a 50mW unit and I would order that plastic replacement lens.
You should use a strip of rubber or leather over the front brass piece to not mark or scratch it if your using pliers and be careful to not lose the momentary button if the module were to slide out which most of the time it does. Putting it together again will take some patients..

Last edited:

Anthony P

You had a exact MegaLaserUK unit like the OP? I don't know if they are just way over priced typical ebay units with a touch of brass for good looks, or built with superior crystals and QC like Optotronic's for example? The higher priced 532's do have a IR filter.
If they are selling replacement lenses than I would think it's more or less taking off the front brass piece carefully:unsure: On a $50 unit that might not be garbage I would try it. I would hate to not use a nice unit.

Yates, you don't need a glass lens for a 50mW unit and I would order that plastic replacement lens.
You should use a strip of rubber or leather over the front brass piece to not mark or scratch it if your using pliers and be careful to not lose the momentary button if the module were to slide out which most of the time it does. Putting it together again will take some patients..
I can not say exact laser. Mine came from Edmund Optics many years ago when greens were brand new. It was not cheap! It did look identical, though I realize you can't judge a book by its cover. I ended up taking the guts out of it and making it into a lab laser. Still have it.

Yates

Hi again. Thanks everyone for your help. I realise I've not put a welcome message, not sure where to put it! Im Steve. I'm from Leicestershire in the UK. I have like all things science/technology hence the interest in lasers, flashlights and other gadgets. Hoping to get a decent laser when funds allow.

I realise it's not a top of the range unit. I bought it directly from the website. It cost around £60. They do state it has the all important IR filter but I was a bit sceptical about the quality as the brightness drops of slightly after about 20 seconds. Maybe need better quality batteries? The brass cap unscrews and the lens is inside a smaller brass threaded piece. It pops out easily so a replacement should be easy. Would the IR filter be part of the lens itself or is that buried inside somewhere? I really don't want to damage my eyes if it has IR blasting out all over the place!

The brightness fluctuations are likely your laser mode hopping. There is nothing you can do about that. The IR filter, if it is there, is most likely the last optic in the laser. I have never seen one in the lens itself. They are on a glass plate, so if you don't have that it probably isn't IR filtered.