Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Measuring multiline with lasercheck

Would someone give me the means to better approximate the total power of a multiline beam with a silicone based sensor like lasercheck? I have thus far been using a setting of 488 which seems to be within +/-15%

Anyone possessing a multiline argon and both thermal and silicon based sensors would be appreciated.

Switch

Can't you separate the lines and measure them then add up the results? :-/

efficiency for the win!

There are 7 lines and I don't know for sure what 4 of them are.

L

likewhat

put a diffraction grating in front of it to separate the different colors and measure each one individually and then add them up.

Yes, that's what like what said. It would take 40 minutes per reading. I'm looking for the magic constant in:

P = KR

Where P is power and R is the reading a lasercheck displays at a given setting.

L

likewhat

It is not that simple. Since the detector response in nonlinear and you have many (>2) lines that you are trying to measure simultaneously, it is possible that a powerful line where the detector response is small could give less output than a weak line where the detector response is big. If you knew all the lines that it put out and their relative output measuring one of them would allow you to characterize the whole system, but you still have to measure one of them by itself and to do that and you have to know the detector response as a function of wavelength.

If you need to know it that well you have to get a meter that doesnt have such a large wavelength dependence.

Also, why would it take 40 mins per reading. Just stick a prism or grating in the output and measure each one, it has the additional convenience of giving the wavelength information that you dont have.