Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Measuring Current.

I'm not quite sure if this is posted or not, but I can't find anything. Anyways, If I want to measure the current of a diode, does it make a difference if the diode is connected to a driver? Pretty much what I' am trying to ask is... Do drivers in general consume any mA? Is 100mA measured with a DMM in series with a driver powering the diode the same as 100mA direct into a diode?

I'm not quite sure if this is posted or not, but I can't find anything. Anyways, If I want to measure the current of a diode, does it make a difference if the diode is connected to a driver? Pretty much what I' am trying to ask is... Do drivers in general consume any mA? Is 100mA measured with a DMM in series with a driver powering the diode the same as 100mA direct into a diode?

If you are asking if it is safe to do it by measuring the input current, with the drivers we tend to ues the answer is yes, you should only be a few ma out. The reason we use test loads to set current is to be sure that the drive circuit is operating correctly.

If you build a LM317 driver and connect your LD without first testing the driver you could kill the LD due to a wiring error.

Regards rog8811