Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Measure mW

Pestario said:
Just thought that if I used the current and volt, I could use Ohms law to figure out the mW... I bought the True 50mW greenie. Just ordered the 200mW Dilda too :0) Glad I waited until the price dropped :0D

With Ohms law you can figure out the input power, correct. That's not a very good indicator for the laser diode's output power however, as stated by others before. Even with a detailed datasheet for the LD you're looking at nothing more than a rough estimate.

diachi

Yes but you can also use a multi-meter to find the input power, and you also need that to find the figures for Ohms law .

Diachi said:
Yes but you can also use a multi-meter to find the input power, and you also need that to find the figures for Ohms law .

Of course you would use a multimeter to determine the input power. I wasn't referring to another method.

Allow me to elaborate. Diodes can be approximated by means of collaboration with someone able to give a formula or ratio of current to output. DPSS? forget it. Gas? Even more sporadic.

Ok, my bad. I thought that I could figure out the output power, but when I think about it, I can see that I would just get the input... Me trying to do some thinking on my own. Always a bad idea. Hehe..