Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

max power of a stock dilda o-like laser diode

What is the maximum mw power of a stock dilda using a different battery configuration...doesn't have to be batteries that will fit in the tube, I was thinking of taking it apart and using different batteries with a momentary switch, it burns well already. I once saw of this forum someone going up to 10-12 volts...if you use higher volts with different batteries will the driver circuit still protect and mantain a regular current level with a different set of batteries? Could 250-300mw be achieved with this diode? Also what is the best alternative battery to use?

Jaseth

The highest I have achieved without burning out the driver or diode was 269mW. That was with two 3.6V LC 15266 600mAh UltraFire batteries which charge to 4.2V. The recommended batteries are 3V IIRC, but there was no problem using the 3.6V.
Sadly I then tried 4.2V batteries (don't remember what they were called, some East European brand), and then *pouff* -> no more laser.

My current Dilda runs on the 3.6V too, but it only does a pathetic 238mW. However.. pretty damn good for a $40 laser!!

Seb

Benm

238 is actually very good for a stock dilda on 7.2 volts :)

Grix

Some member here ran the laser on 12 volts, I think it measured over 300mW, without dying.

Jaseth

238 is actually very good for a stock dilda on 7.2 volts :)

Yes, I was only disappointed because the other one did so exceptionally well!
I also got one up on about 9.4V before I was afraid to turn it up any further, but that one did only about 245mW IIRC, at this much higher voltage.

Anyway.. the Dilda was really a rare case of a cheap laser exceeding all expectations. It was pretty awesome when people found out that it could be pushed to quite a bit above spec using only increased voltage, without burning out.

Seb