Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MAX power of  PHR-803T

Re: MAX power of  PHR-803T

We really can't tell you, unless you tell us the current. You could turn it up to 300mA and get a ton of power, for a very short time. And I'm pretty sure you want your diode to last more than an hour. I think IgorT runs them at 170mA-180mA, and they last about two weeks. It really depends on how long you want it to last. If you want it to last as long as possible, than go with 110mA. That will give you 75mW-105mW.

ya i kinda want to keep it for a while lol. I think i will go for 110ma.

I have another question. What would be the proper way to measure mA. and is there a cheep way to measure mw output?

You can run them at around 150mA with decent heatsinking for around 120mW. To measure current (mA) just use a multimeter. There isn't any cheap way to measure power (mW) though.

According to Igor, these diodes are not super reliable and vary a lot. One diode can be tough and survive 170mA with ease, while another can die at 150.

I would say 150mA MAX, mine from Igor was run at 125mA, which he said was a rather safe current.

These numbers are nothing for Daguin though, he's known as the one who tortures these diodes till they die. He's definitley breaking the "diode rights". ;D

JLSE

I had 2 in a row that died at 114ma, and others that cruise at 180ma / 185mW :cool:

The best method I have found is to test each of them starting at low ma's, in my case 82ma and slowly work my way up. In the meantime monitor the behaviour of the individual diode. It kinda helps if you have a LPM, otherwise you cant really map the diode.

If you dont have a LPM, another trick I use is to expand the beam to a large dot on the wall across the room. Start at low ma's and as you slowly increase the current, watch for flickers / mode annomalies in the large dot on the wall. If you see the edge of the dot have shadowy lines start moving or jittering back off the current a bit and dont go any higher.

Im not 100% that it means death for the diode when any little shifts ocour, but most of the diodes that have died on me from overcurrent will tend to exibit this behaviour as you approach its individual max.

wannaburn said:
If you dont have a LPM, another trick I use is to expand the beam to a large dot on the wall across the room. Start at low ma's and as you slowly increase the current, watch for flickers / mode annomalies in the large dot on the wall. If you see the edge of the dot have shadowy lines start moving or jittering back off the current a bit and dont go any higher.

And that's a safe current for the diode? Or is that the max power it will get to?

JLSE

If you pass the flicker it doesnt always mean iminent death, but approach that with caution. As I said, ive had diodes pop at 114ma which is quite low by what most experiance. So the idea is basically to keep it around what has been deemed safe from the mass of testing that happens around here ;)

And while your adjusting the current just pay close attention to any heat, or jittering patterns in the enlarged dot. The best way to detect these little jitters is by hanging a white piece of paper on the wall and set the dot within the bounds of the sheet. Take your time, and dont over do it.

Remember too, some diodes can run fine at 150ma, while others just wont handle it. Each diode has its own personality, and for each laser you make, wipe the slate of data clean and start all over for the next. It is not common place for these diodes to have the same results. If you only have a couple of diodes, its better to be cautious and avoid anything over 120-130ma, unless you dont mind the risk. When their dead their dead :'(