Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making Thioacetone - The Worst Smelling Chemical in World

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Just saw this video from Chemistry YouTuber NileRed today. I think a few people on Science Madness got to making trithioacetone, but none ever showed any pictures or videos or went as far as cracking it into actual, legendary, thioacetone. :ROFLMAO: 🤢

Dusty_Lenses

Just saw this video from Chemistry YouTuber NileRed today. I think a few people on Science Madness got to making trithioacetone, but none ever showed any pictures or videos or went as far as cracking it into actual, legendary, thioacetone. :ROFLMAO: 🤢

Watched this the other night, that guy's nose is broken lol

Hes got some really interesting content though 🤿

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Watched this the other night, that guy's nose is broken lol

Hes got some really interesting content though 🤿

Yeah, I remember in a one of his other videos where they made another smelly compound, he couldn't really smell it, but then he brought it out into the office area and everyone else was gagging and coughing lol. He must have messed up nose with all those chemical experiments and can't smell properly anymore. :ROFLMAO:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah he couldn't smell it but his friend was practically gagging lol

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I think in the report about that incident in Friedberg Germany where some thioacetone escaped they said the same thing happened. Some of the scientists in the lab were relatively unaffected, while some people were losing their lunch blocks away. :ROFLMAO:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Looks like another Youtuber, LabCoatz, went a step further and made some of the selenium analogues to thiols. Supposedly ever worse smelling than the legendary thioacetone. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Most sulfur molecules don't smell all that well. There are many that could contend with thioacetone. In Addition to those are many others that offend the olfactory receptors.