Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making a show with protection then viewing without?

Hi everyone I'm pretty new with lasers I am thinking about upgrading / buying this laser (not a pointer) that is local to me in Australia.

ECLIPSE CLUB AVE 1000 MW RGB FULL COLOR LASER | DJ City

Now I'm really interested in also buying pangolin quick show to go with it to match nice songs to nice pattens etc.

I know there are a few threads on buying safety glasses when working with lasers but is this needed when ill be making / viewing the show similar to this video? Or do you wear them all the time even if I'm not working / modding the laser?

Laser show - My name is Lincoln - YouTube

Since I could be looking at the laser similar to above video for a quite a while to make the show I'm guessing i should wear laser glasses? When the show is complete and I want to show them to family or mates will they have to wear glasses as well? I have a large living room a lot bigger than the video above. Id be about 10-14 m away from the laser and it would be about 3m high.

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me so I don't damage anyone's eyes or my own.

I have contacted a few places about the laser safety but there information is ... yeah you will be right .....

I believe that information is rubbish as this is a high powered laser.

Thanks

Tim

Last edited:

Benm

To get the definite answer to that you will need to do the calculations properly.

The most important aspect is the surface you are projecting onto. If it is really matte, like a latex-painted wall or ceiling, rough paper screen, etc, you can assume all reflections to be diffuse, and your scenario doesn't sound dangerous to watch without eye protection at first glance.

If you are projecting onto something remotely glossy (such as a laquer painted wall/door/etc) chances of directional reflections are high and could easily surpass safe values in certain spots in the room.

Things

Three tips for being safe with laser shows: Shine them above everyone's heads (including other areas of the building people could access), avoid reflections and don't shine them into the sky without CASA approval. Do that and you're pretty much good to go.

Last edited: