Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Magic trick with lasers/matches

I'm calling BS on this even counting as a magic trick. There are a million ways this could be easily accomplished. In 25 seconds, with no prep, I was able to pull it off with a laser.

In my video, you can see the IR a bit, but if I had used a slightly higher wavelength diode, you wouldn't have.
VIDEO0004-edit2.3gp - YouTube

Haha, nice :evil:

A long time ago I ran an experiment for igniting matches with potassium permanganate and glycerin mixed with drops of water.

I'm calling BS on this even counting as a magic trick. There are a million ways this could be easily accomplished. In 25 seconds, with no prep, I was able to pull it off with a laser.

Well yes, but that's because you know about lasers! Magic never looks like magic to people who know how it's done. I think you've proved my suggestion that lasers are a good way to accomplish this.

Haha, nice :evil:

A long time ago I ran an experiment for igniting matches with potassium permanganate and glycerin mixed with drops of water.

Definitely, there are lots of pyro/chemical ways to do this but they don't cut it in the real world as a workable magic trick.
The magician Cris Angel has I think done this one on TV with borrowed matches, or a freely selected book of matches, which rules out chemical preparations.