Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Magic Stick MS-V3 405nm Mini Review

gismo

Greetings everyone,

I've decided to write down a little review about the latest asset in my laser collection.
Although I own some really nice lasers from established members on the forum that definitely deserve their own reviews, I'm simply a lazy bastard who has time, but not the will to do that.:rolleyes:
Hopefully the members I've bought the lasers from up to this day would forgive me for (I've sinned) not to introduce their workmanship the proper way in the Review section of this great laser enthusiasts forum.

Hereby I want to believe, this first mini review of mine is just a starter for more reviews to come in the near future, depending on reactions of readers:D

Now let's get to it, shall we?

PRELIMINATION ROUND:
Mhemling33's MS-V3 405nm 670mW build caught my attention right after I've spotted it in the Buy, Sell & Trade section on the 5th of July 2013. Although there are 2 other great 405nm build in my possession up to this date, I've been attracted by Sinner's "laser body art" for some time. His continuing evolutionary workmanship on hosts is without a doubt well received on lpf.com including me.;)
The fact this particular build was 405nm one with an impressive output made my decision to buy it even quicker.

Communication between me and mhemling33 started on the 6th of July and underwent solely through PM. I've found it anything but pleasant, professional and most of all helpful.
After we both found a mutual word to give this deal a green light, funds were transferred by paypal and the seller was on the move.
Package with the printed proof of shipping (USPS normal priority) left US on the 7th, but I assume it realistically made its move the following day, Monday the 8th. Waiting game's started.

Since I've done business with other members from US, I had an idea about the approximate delivery time, which usually equals 7 days (incl. the weekend), if there's no customs hassle. This case was no exception, the Irish customs took a tea break thanks to mhemling33's lower value bait:)

Important Edit:
Unfortunately I wasn't destined to enjoy this precious laser for a long time. The second day when I started to take the LPM readings (with the duty cycle on my mind) I've noticed the power start decreasing gradually to values way below the claimed ones in the OP. After an extensive PM communication with the seller we came to a conclusion there's something really awkward ongoing and I've shipped the laser back to him the next day.
2 weeks later (filled with my vacation) came back to lpf.com with a pleasant news of the diode replacement with an addition of a G2 lens to the build. Long story short it took roughly 1 week to receive the upgraded laser!

ROUND 1:
Package and its contents were well clear-taped and secured, no objections to be stated here. FRAGILE all over it with red marker, fragile indeed:):

9508811127_815a73cf99_c.jpg

9508810241_d670dac685_c.jpg

How well was the actual laser wrapped? Let's take a look:

9511602208_9fe1c288e0_c.jpg

9511601840_f950fe6e11_c.jpg

Edit: The 2nd package was extremely well packed & protected, no much different from the previous shipment.

ROUND 2:
Laser beauty named MagicStick MS-V3 405nm
Technical details provided by the seller in the OP http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/galaxy-s3-parts-405nm-sold-82578.html

12x 3.8mm 405nm diode (lazereer)
X-boost super mini driver set to 585ma
405nm (originally aixiz glass lens) G2 lens
60sec on/60sec off runtime
Battery 1x18650 (using Green Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh or Red AW IMR 2000mAh)

More qualified details about the MagicStick MS-V3 can be found here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/magicsticks-v3-18650-hosts-arrived-pics-updated-76778.html

Pictures showing the actual laser in different close-up/portrait positions:

Laser in "relaxed" position
9511601414_c4b09627cb_c.jpg

Focusing ring (top view)
9511601036_5c7b0e2b38_c.jpg

Focusing ring (side view)
9508808227_447bf9bbc9_c.jpg

Clickie/Tailcap
9511599474_3039040e16_c.jpg

With the tailcap unscrewed
9508806503_d4bc022a72_c.jpg

Side to side tailcap vs. body
9511598820_284e5458f5_c.jpg

Laser with batteries used
9508805791_cd45587a78_c.jpg

Side note: couldn't fit cheaper 18650 Ultrafire inside of the host, simply too fat (perhaps better so:D). Same thing with my other two MS-V1 MagicSticks from Blord, not an issue though, just a notice.

Attached to a tripod
9511596220_c8cff18f7b_c.jpg

Bottom tripod perspective
9511595468_f7c80aebf9_c.jpg

ROUND 3:
Performance is a key point of this laser, as mhemling33 mentioned to me in one of his PM's, the driver's efficiency truly lies high in this "beamer".
LPM graph (Peregrine) 45sec measurement taken with my 5W LaserBee with Ophir head:

9511593788_15a788c5f8_c.jpg

Additional note:
mhemling33 got an outstanding reading of over 900mw with his ARGmeter with an Ophir head. Why such a relatively high difference then? This is something I personally need to investigate in a greater detail, perhaps sending my Ophir head to one of the respectable members based in Western Europe (close to Ireland) for a cross-comparison. Despite the different readings found, the power performance is still impressive and that's what counts in.

FINAL ROUND:
405nm shots, anyone?

To capture the true violet wavelength is never an easy task. With my current camera setup I was able to achieve nearly realistic color with a Galaxy Note 2 phone rather then with the compact Sony DSC-HX5 (blueish output). Go figure, huh?

Indoors pictures with a 5cm crystal ball:
9511604778_bf21f45076_c.jpg

9511605292_e5c6d339f4_c.jpg

With a crystal pyramid
9508813577_1c6c804138_c.jpg

In low light conditions
9508811839_d854e269b4_c.jpg

Diffraction square grating
9508811421_94aea27265_c.jpg

In the bath tube (full darkness dream version)
9508816385_5ff717db8b_c.jpg

Door bottom shot (half-darkness)
9511605996_98b872e30c_c.jpg

And a couple of humble outdoor shots:eek:

Signal tower, say hello (dark blueish)
9508812209_750854cf72_c.jpg

Sky beam (very blueish again, I know)
9508812349_cddf2da3cc_c.jpg

Side note:
I'm honestly sorry not being able to photograph the 405nm beam the way it would look attractive enough. I'm considering to buy a decent entry-level DLSR camera before the end of the year to unleash the power of natural lasers wavelengths kingdom, if the budget allows me to:can:.

Personally I don't like giving a specific rating on any laser bought from a member on lpf.com, especially when the general impression is anything but great. Having said that, I'm simply well happy with this amazing laser build by mhemling33, can't say a single bad word about the deal from the start up to the end. Communication was friendly and informative, shipping time exactly as expected by me, seller's attitude throughout the time was top-notch.
Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again, if something special comes up out of his creative workshop and catches my attention.

Special thanks:
mhemling33 for creating this violet wonder, sinner for machining the magnificent Magic Stick MS-V3 host design, lazereer for the efficient diode and… thank you all readers & watchers.

Hope some of you folks like this mini review.

:thanks:

I really appreciate the review you have written. For your first one you did one heck of a job! I loved all the pictures you can never has enough IMHO.

I have to say as a buyer Gismo is awesome to deal with. Anyone who has sold a laser they built dreads about hearing an issue from the buyer. Gismo was more relaxed about the diode issues then I was lol. Everything worked out great in the end.

I also have to thank sinner and lazeerer for supplying me with the goods.

I hope you enjoy it!

gismo

Very nice review Gismo, very detailed and lots of pictures.. thanks for the kind words!

Thank you, sir:wave:

I've noticed your MS-V4 G2 lens upgrade post in blu-ray & violet forum section...simply remarkable! Not for sale really, is it...:D

Congrats to you both, gentlemen! +1 for both. I just recently finished my MS-V3 with an old LPC 826. I suppose, since I am Sinner's US distributor now, I should get off my ass, and write up a mini-review of it.

gismo

Congrats to you both, gentlemen! +1 for both. I just recently finished my MS-V3 with an old LPC 826. I suppose, since I am Sinner's US distributor now, I should get off my ass, and write up a mini-review of it.

Cheers, man. Now I wished you were sinner's EU distributor, that would've been something:D A review from you, SBA, would be an interesting reading, no doubt about that!

Now, all I need is the time to do a decent review. It looks like I will have time before long.
I promise, once I have the Envies in, I'll put together a proper review for it. I just have to decide what to put in it.

Gismo, the system won't let me rep you. But, I'll spread some around and come back to you.

Hey nice review and great laser! Looks like you have a pretty decent diode too...;)
405 is a pain to photograph...:gun: what program are you using to work with your photos and what format are they in from the camera raw or jpg?

Thanks for sharing! Literally just repped you so +1 when I can. Also a +1 to Mhemling for his impressive customer service :beer:

I use a free online PS style photo editor called pixlr.com. It's not fully decked out like PS, but it's very nice.

When I shoot my 405nm lasers, I just use the hue/saturation editor to shift it over, so that it actually resembles indigo. It takes mere seconds, and you can save in a lossless format.

gismo

Daylight pictures were taken with Sony DSC-HX5V (borrowed from a friend of mine) in portrait or macro mode with conservative ISO settings.

Nighttime shots taken with Galaxy Note 2 (again provided by a friend) with a low light setting I believe? (not familiar in a detail with the cellphone).

No editing was used to enhance any of the pics posted in the OP, although the night shots certainly deserve it...and the format is solely .jpg, naturally:)

Saving bucks for an entry-level DLSR camera, not easy to do while spending 'em money on lasers...:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also a massive :thanks: for all the reps received!

Last edited: