Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MacOS Laserbee and other data parsing method (alternative)

Hi, this post may seem redundant for those already jumping on the Peregrine MacOS data logging program made by Trevor. Today I had some spare time to play around with Peregrine 1.0v and a terminal program called CoolTerm. Cool terminal allows us to see any output from a serial device in hex or in raw data format.
I was measuring my 450/455nm M140 Sabertwins using the laserbee 3.2W deluxe. I finally came up with a solution to parse the data from the laserbee. This is not a real time solution, but it does work with MacOSX flawlessly.

1) Download yourself a copy of CoolTerm (new version was released today)
2) Set up coolterm to capture the raw data (set usbserial tty to 9600baud )

3) Once your laserbee is ready, hit connect. You should see 0,0 appearing in the window.

4) Go up to capture data and hit record, this will prompt you to save a data file. Choose where you want the data file (.txt format)
When you are ready hit the ok button, the program will start writing a data file with 0,0 (Nonparsed with delimiters).
Stop the program after 1 minute. (you'll need to manually time it)

5) Once the data file is saved, import /open the text file into Excel and Excel 2012 edition should detect the raw data file as needing to be parsed. Select the
Option to separate the the delimeter "," into a second column.
This gives you a chance to remove one set for graphing purposes.
Look at the attached pics.

100mW = Laserbee 100,100 After applying Excel filter 100 | 100

I removed the data and stuck it into Numbers. Done! :beer:

Final graph looks great!

It's up to you how you want your graph to look like.
The last screenshot.png file is a sample of the raw data from the laserbee.

I hope this helps.

My end result was a pk of 2346mW, av to ~2300mW. Note that the Ophir sees about a 10% higher pk value than the Laserbee. Take this into consideration.
2346mW = ~2692mW on the Ophir 20C. ...
After 5 seconds the readings from both sensors are well within 3% of each other. Take note of this. I might be lucky. My sensors seem to like each other.

bump... valuable to parsing data. Seeing as Peregrine is not working for MacOSX anymore (v1.5.0)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.58.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.58.36 PM.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.58.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.58.56 PM.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.59.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.59.14 PM.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.59.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 8.59.42 PM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 191
  • laserbee output serial capture raw parse.pdf
    227.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Will this method work with older PowerMac G4s ??

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Yes, it should. I don't see why not. I'm assuming you're running OSX on the G4?

btw, here is a second test of the Lasertwins.
New Graph.

Attachments

• Test 2 .pdf
    23.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! Id just like to add that Ive been playing around with Peregrine for the last couple of days trying to get the program to find my USB com connection. I actually ran into CoolTerm in the process of googling, but it didnt help. The problem was that neither Peregrin nor CoolTerm would recognise the connected USB and yes it showed up in Profiler.

Anyway, you mention in point 2: "2) Set up coolterm to capture the raw data (set usbserial tty to 9600baud )", but you cant do this if the program wont recognise the USB-Serial Controller connected...!

I found a quick fix to get this to work on CoolTerm ie the Controller is now recognised and I can select it, but unfortunately Peregrine still refuses. Here's a link to the solution that worked for me. They say the problem is that no drivers are installed for the particular USB controller. As Jerry doesn't supply any drivers for the Mac OS, I thought I was stuck, but as it turns out the drivers do work. Now back to getting Peregrine up and running...!;)

Anyway +1 :beer:

Edit: If anyone has any suggestions...;)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! Id just like to add that Ive been playing around with Peregrine for the last couple of days trying to get the program to find my USB com connection. I actually ran into CoolTerm in the process of googling, but it didnt help. The problem was that neither Peregrin nor CoolTerm would recognise the connected USB and yes it showed up in Profiler.

Anyway, you mention in point 2: "2) Set up coolterm to capture the raw data (set usbserial tty to 9600baud )", but you cant do this if the program wont recognise the USB-Serial Controller connected...!

I found a quick fix to get this to work on CoolTerm ie the Controller is now recognised and I can select it, but unfortunately Peregrine still refuses. Here's a link to the solution that worked for me. They say the problem is that no drivers are installed for the particular USB controller. As Jerry doesn't supply any drivers for the Mac OS, I thought I was stuck, but as it turns out the drivers do work. Now back to getting Peregrine up and running...!;)

Anyway +1 :beer:

Edit: If anyone has any suggestions...;)

Peregrine actually fails all the inputs including OpenLPM data handshake. The new Java update last week for OSX 10.8.2 might be the root of the problem.
I did a system wide repair of permissions and still nothing... no input.
The Serial to USB controller has always been recognized on my system. Never had issues with it not being visible. usbserial adapter tty/usbserial....etc
:thinking::thinking:. I'm sure trevor can fix this. His previous Beta actually worked btw.:undecided:

One of the beauties of MacOSX is that it is nearly driver-less. The OS see virtually everything going in (with some handful of exceptions).
Serial data can be seen on any terminal program.

Last edited:

Trevor

Okay.

The first issue that I'm going to solve is that of the dropdown menu for selecting your serial device input.

It seems that that dropdown menu is improperly sized, and some of the selectable options are invisible, off of the bottom of the screen. I'm going to put together a new build (shouldn't take me more than an hour or so...) and upload it.

The scroll bar on the dropdown does not appear, because the items do not exceed the default height allowed for the dropdown. Thus, in some cases it would appear that Peregrine is not seeing devices.

I'll post here again when the new build is up!

Trevor

Okay.

The first issue that I'm going to solve is that of the dropdown menu for selecting your serial device input.

It seems that that dropdown menu is improperly sized, and some of the selectable options are invisible, off of the bottom of the screen. I'm going to put together a new build (shouldn't take me more than an hour or so...) and upload it.

The scroll bar on the dropdown does not appear, because the items do not exceed the default height allowed for the dropdown. Thus, in some cases it would appear that Peregrine is not seeing devices.

I'll post here again when the new build is up!

Trevor

I still like the idea, and cudos to you for helping out the community!! :beer:
Also, there is no way of having the window re-sizeable for full screen:thinking:? I notice the + tab on the program is greyed out.
I tried this in processing and failed... :undecided: :wtf:

Trevor

I still like the idea, and cudos to you for helping out the community!! :beer:
Also, there is no way of having the window re-sizeable for full screen:thinking:? I notice the + tab on the program is greyed out.
I tried this in processing and failed... :undecided: :wtf:

New build! Bluetooth stuff should be filtered out of the menu, and the menu will not display scroll bars if there are a multitude of options.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6083542/Peregrine/Peregrine_macosx_1_0_4_9.zip

For right now, window size is locked. I'm working on figuring out a good way to make it resizeable.

Trevor

Wow that's what I call service!! ;) Thanks Trevor and cheers for the input Seoul_Lasers! Ill let you know how the update works on 10.8.2. :beer:

Wow that's what I call service!! ;) Thanks Trevor and cheers for the input Seoul_Lasers! Ill let you know how the update works on 10.8.2. :beer:

And now it works... check the other thread about how to get Peregrine to run properly. :bday::bday::bday::beer::beer::beer:

Trevor

I still need to update my Macbook to the newest OS version. As soon as I find the time to do that, I don't think fixing the compatibility issue will be all that difficult.

I just need to find that time. Aaarrrrgh I'm sorry. :(

Trevor