Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 Safe Temp?

Hey I have one of DTR's 2w M140's already mounted in one of the standard copper modules. I mounted the module in one of Z-bolts heat sinks. What I don't know is, what is a safe temp measuring from the copper module? I left 1/8th of an inch of the copper module peaking out of the heat sink so I could use my laser temp gauge. I am up to 88 F in less than 5 min. I am running it at 1.7A max with a Flexmod P3.

There is a lot more to my setup than just that. I used thermal paste, there is a 20mm fan mounted on top of the heat sink pointed down to blow through (It was made to do that). There are also (3) 30mm fans blowing through the heat sink. My engraver project is on openbuilds (Link) If you scroll down there are some earlier pics of the laser mount.

Any help would be great.

88F is nothing, not sure exactly because we never had a data sheet on the M140 but it should be somewhere between 140F - 158F or 60C - 70C, in that heat sink with the fans I am not sure you can even reach the maximum operating temprature.

Alan

88F is nothing, not sure exactly because we never had a data sheet on the M140 but it should be somewhere between 140F - 158F or 60C - 70C, in that heat sink with the fans I am not sure you can even reach the maximum operating temperature.

Alan

I was worried because everyone is using CPU heat sinks for laser engraving, which are 4x bigger than the z-bolt heat sink.