Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 Possibly Dead?

Reiign

Ok so i lent my dad my laser which ran DTR's

2W 445nm Copper Blue Laser Module W/X-Drive & 405-G-2 Glass Lens
$114
(Use with 6-9V or two 3.7V Li-Ions!!!)

I have had zero issues with it until i got it back off him. I told him about duty cycles after he had it for a day as it slipped my mind. So now im unsure on what the issue is and that is the only thing that would make sense. All though it is in sinner's MSV3 host which is all aluminium so in theory it shouldn't of gotten to hot. Anyway here are some pics of it from different distances. With the G2 lens removed.

Its about as bright as an ebay laser at night. Hopefully someone knows whats up! Thanks.

wqykir.jpg

2w557ba.jpg

Last edited:

DTR

It is hard to tell by the pictures exactly how much power is coming out of the unit but the beam pattern looks right in a bar shape so I don't believe your diode is LED if ti were the output would be faint and circular. Are you saying it is not very bright? What kind of batteries are you using for it?

Reiign

2 18350 700mah aw batteries. They have never had any issues what so ever. In the photos you cant really see it. But it looks like spots or blotches all around the outside of it. Ill set up my lpm in a minute to get a rough power output. But going off its burning abilities (struggling to make things smoke) id say its around 150mw-200mw my cheap green ebay laser looks brighter outside also lol

DTR

Do you think it possible the batteries were put in backwards for any period of time?

Reiign

i am not to sure man. I think i did that when i first built it. (which was almost a month ago) and had literally zero issues. I use it daily also. Unless my dad did....

DTR

Yea if only for a few seconds no problem but if left longer the protection can saturate and blow the driver. This would result in very low power passing through the driver but in this case the driver sacrifices itself to save the diode.

If you want to send the module to me I could check it and see if this is the case or what is going on with it. Reverse polarity leaves very identifiable damage but is a pretty cheap fix if that is what is going on.

xgXCB6.jpg

Reiign

Think i would rather just buy another driver off you. I have the laser pulled apart, I will pull down the aixiz module now and take a photo with my dslr for you

Reiign

Mine looks a little bit worse i think...

16isl0w.jpg

So can i just replace the chip?

Reiign

So should i atleast try fixing it? I have a lot of circuit boards laying around for salvage. Fairly positive this is the same as the one on a dc drill charging system inside the battery itself.

Reiign

So i believe it could be an lm358. Pulled any 9v battery operated thing i had lying around to inspect these. All had them. So did a google search. Found a lot of drivers run them. So i will remove the diode from the board so i can run a multimeter to test it before and after. Hopefully then if i fix this driver i can move on from this and start planning my next build :p

DTR

That chip does not even look like the same one. For the sake of the diode I would just grab another X-drive.:beer:

Reiign

I realized that after i did a bit of rummaging through circuit boards. My theory was it needed to be on a DC device that takes 9v or so. I found an LM358 on my multimeter that took 9v. Same as my ebay pens. They all have the LM358. So i did a search on google images. Seems quite a few drivers run them. Im going to remove the diode from the board and test the output/amperage with a multimeter in its place. That way it doesn't matter if i feck up or not lol