Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

M140 A-Type vs M-Type

I just purchased a new laser diode to replace one I burned up by providing too much power I think. I have a 1.25A constant current driver that, along with the diode, will be mounted on my 3D printer to do some simple etching/burning occasionally. Since I'm only supplying 1.25A does it make any difference whether I'm using an M-Type or A-Type diode? Thanks in advance for any input.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
A type will give you less power. The M type has always been the upgraded version. But I'm curious how you're going to be using it with the 3d printer

A type will give you less power. The M type has always been the upgraded version. But I'm curious how you're going to be using it with the 3d printer
Do they provide different output power at the same amperage, or is the M-Type just capable of accepting higher amperages?
It will be mounted on the print head and power controlled through a pwm supply that normally controls a fan. I had it working, but burnt up the diode when I miswired a new control board.

I used to buy the M140s new with full length pins and no solder back about 7 years ago from Laserlands. They cost me $40.00 if I purchased several at a time. The highest recommended current for them is 1800 mA. I have built more than a dozen of these, but not any for several years now. Good luck.

M-140's are good little laser diodes, I have a couple hundred of them, but you can also use a brand New Osram PLTB450B or a Sharp GH04C01B2G or you can upgrade to a 3W capable NDB7875 which has the same divergence as the M-140 but is half again to twice as strong, for your cnc cutter use a DTR G2 lens to get the most out of your beam.

1645299264763.png

Last edited:

Sowee7

M-140s are like the classic blue diode, I really like them