Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lyra-B5 or Galileo-5?

Hey folks,

Since it may be awhile until I get a 473nm, I may get a 532nm beforehand. I know Laserglow tends to have a Pi Day Sale on the 14th of March which reduces some of their pointers down.

I've been debating whether or not to get a Galileo or a Lyra from them. I much prefer the pen style version(which is the Lyra) but the Galileo does have an unlimited duty cycle, which is nice! I don't think <5mW of 532nm would generate much heat but Laserglow does give it a duty cycle of 90 sec. on which seems quite short, and I do pay very attention to duty cycles.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
-Alex :yh:

Razako

I'd say get the lyra. I got one as my first green laser and it still works great today over 5 years later. They're classy looking, and personally I wouldn't worry much about the duty cycle. It's a momentary-on pointer so it's unlikely you'd be leaving it on for extended periods anyway.

I'd say get the lyra. I got one as my first green laser and it still works great today over 5 years later. They're classy looking, and personally I wouldn't worry much about the duty cycle. It's a momentary-on pointer so it's unlikely you'd be leaving it on for extended periods anyway.
Thanks! The only part im worried about is when using it for photo shoots, or when turning on all my pointers to checkout the rainbow I managed to afford haha :p

Lyra.....
Thanks! :p

-Alex

Last edited:
this is where our good friend duct tape came in to help....

Edited: 589!!! post..

Last edited:

Razako

This will solve your issues with the pushbutton if you ever want it to stay on.
clothespin.jpg

Razako

Congrats! Maybe that's a sign? ;)

Yeah, tried that haha. I mostly just buy tripods now for these kinds of things. How long do you usually keep your Lyra on for?

-Alex
I've left it on for 4-5 minutes at a time and it just got a little bit warm. It's not exactly a high powered unit and doesn't seem to generate much heat or have duty cycle issues. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong..

I've left it on for 4-5 minutes at a time and it just got a little bit warm. It's not exactly a high powered unit and doesn't seem to generate much heat or have duty cycle issues. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong..

Hm.....ok. I'll probably just stick to the duty cycle for best lifetime. I did hear that when the host of your laser gets hot that's a sign that damage is happening, which isn't good! :eek:

-Alex