Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lumia Wheel 5rpm DX will it work?

daguin

Good lumia wheels are normally run at slower than 1RPM

Peace,
dave

I was just wandering if it would go slower if I ran it at 3v as opposed to 12v. I believe I don't have the best grasp on electricity.

I bought two of these motors and two 30 RPM motors, all at the same time.

Both of the 30 RPM units produce higher torque than the 5 RPM units.

One 5 RPM stalls at about 110mA. The other stalls at about 1A. Of course the one that stalls at 1A produces much greater torque, though I have no instruments for measuring it. The actual motor bodies have different markings - one has a stick-on paper label, the other has etched or laser-engraved markings.

Unfortunately, until you have these motors in your hands, you may not know what you are getting.
(I tried the 30RPM for my application, and found the torque was not quite enough. Oh, sez I, the 5RPM should produce more than enough torque! No such luck. I'm going to try running at 18V.)

At lesser voltage you may not get enough torque to spin the glass.

From searching around HO railroad action motors seem to work good, but they are ~$30.

If anyone found a cheaper unit please post it.

At lesser voltage you may not get enough torque to spin the glass.
From searching around HO railroad action motors seem to work good, but they are ~$30.
If anyone found a cheaper unit please post it.

Yeah I was kind of looking for something a bit cheaper, because I could get 1rpm disco ball motor as well at that price.

I've seen someone spin the wheel from the outside instead of the center. The wheel itself acts as a reduction gear. Think of how a Ferris wheel is driven for example.

Legos sets often have gears and stuff.

My first optical table was just a legos pad, with bricks built to hold the 12mm module and real bricks to hold the whole thing down.