Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LSX Abstract show

Nice!! Heard good things about the abstract capabilty in LSX.. obviously I heard correct.. thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I'd like to see that in person spread out across a 10' x 10' area. It looks like you speant a lot of time working on that show. SELEM attendess would enjoy seeing it too. hint hint

hey elektrofreak,

so far i've discovered three totally different approaches to making abstracts. each one makes a different style.

traditional oscillator banks with sliders
sine/cosine expressions with 3d transforms and
"digitally synthesized" effects reminiscent of digi-synth.

all variables, including color effects, can be controlled with waveform editors, mathematical expressions, midi, or live audio.

it's complicated, and every time i play with it, i feel both smarter and dumber. ;)

Nice!! Heard good things about the abstract capabilty in LSX.. obviously I heard correct.. thanks for sharing!

thanks!

i've love to make it out to SELEM. fun as it would be, i just don't think it's in the cards for this year. it would be nice to see some of my work through a big bright multiline argon with pcaom blanking. i'm sure the color fades and transitions would be mindblowing.

i have a dz color correction board in my projector, but solid state will never match ion.

I'd like to see that in person spread out across a 10' x 10' area. It looks like you speant a lot of time working on that show. SELEM attendess would enjoy seeing it too. hint hint

hey elektrofreak,

so far i've discovered three totally different approaches to making abstracts. each one makes a different style.

traditional oscillator banks with sliders
sine/cosine expressions with 3d transforms and
"digitally synthesized" effects reminiscent of digi-synth.

all variables, including color effects, can be controlled with waveform editors, mathematical expressions, midi, or live audio.

it's complicated, and every time i play with it, i feel both smarter and dumber. ;)

I have to be honest, I was recently put off by a certain piece of IMO ridiculously high-priced laser synth software that was touted to me as the abstract holy grail, and having seen what the extremely expensive software can do via videos shown by the company's spokesperson I think your video tops everything they showed me by a fair margin.

I heard through the grapevine that lava's been a bit more responsive and available lately, bless his heart, and so I have to give credit where it's due. Looks like some very nice software from what I've seen so far.

Last edited:
digi-synth looks really cool. it does make killer abstracts, but it's priced well out of the hobby market. you need some very expensive supporting hardware to make it work, but the results are stunning.

yes, drlava has been very accessible. this weekend he sent out two rounds of bug fixes, added some features i requested, and sent multiple example show modules for the new features.

very excellent service.

I have to be honest, I was recently put off by a certain piece of IMO ridiculously high-priced laser synth software that was touted to me as the abstract holy grail, and having seen what the extremely expensive software can do via videos shown by the company's spokesperson I think your video tops everything they showed me by a fair margin.

I heard through the grapevine that lava's been a bit more responsive and available lately, bless his heart, and so I have to give credit where it's due. Looks like some very nice software from what I've seen so far.

I don't have the videos that the digi-synth guy showed me committed to memory, but I don't recall them making the sort of impression that it should have made given the price.. especially when I have routinely purchased control software/interface bundles that I use for complete professional shows in front of thousands of people for a small fraction of what they want for their abstract generator. They did look good, I remember that, but your video is a trip.. good effects, good timing, good musical choice, and from software that doesn't require taking out a loan to purchase. Much superior package IMO as a little thing called "value for your dollar" means a WHOLE LOT to me.

there are some digisynth videos on youtube.. my impression of them is technically they're very good, but but the shows themselves are not very interesting. this is, of course, my personal opinion.

it's unclear just how much digi-synth costs.

from their website (chrome gave me a warning about their site having malware)

digisynth costs about 4k$ USD

you also need:
a lightpipe output device
a lightpipe to analog converter/transcoder
a midi control surface (recommended)

here's some *very* early work i did with LSX's digital synthesized style abstracts.

it's pretty simplistic, but it gives you a little bit of a taste for the very fluid/organic things that can be created.

I don't have the videos that the digi-synth guy showed me committed to memory, but I don't recall them making the sort of impression that it should have made given the price.. especially when I have routinely purchased control software/interface bundles that I use for complete professional shows in front of thousands of people for a small fraction of what they want for their abstract generator. They did look good, I remember that, but your video is a trip.. good effects, good timing, good musical choice, and from software that doesn't require taking out a loan to purchase. Much superior package IMO as a little thing called "value for your dollar" means a WHOLE LOT to me.