Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPS SOX Sodium Lamps

ped

Those two little ones :drool:

Don't know about where you are, but by me, they are replacing all the SOX with LED lamps, I sooo want to pull up behind one of the vans and say...I'll take those off your hands :crackup:

Yeah all the high-pressure sodium street lights are getting replace with LED in Atlantic Canada. Can't say Im a big fan of the LED fixtures. They give off an ugly harsh white light. I miss the warm orange HPS glow.

@555 That is one gorgeous lineup! I still only have my 55W and 18W, but LPS is very expensive to acquire here in the states.

@Blarg these are low pressure sodium, not high pressure, but yes the conversion to modern lighting isn't well received by everyone, despite the media clamoring. I worry for the astronomy field with the vastly increasing light pollution, and also for the energy demand impact modern lighting has. LPS is still the highest efficiency lamp available.

Those two little ones :drool:

Don't know about where you are, but by me, they are replacing all the SOX with LED lamps, I sooo want to pull up behind one of the vans and say...I'll take those off your hands :crackup:

The 18W ones are cute : P .

Round my area its still all 35W Sox lamps .

@555 That is one gorgeous lineup! I still only have my 55W and 18W, but LPS is very expensive to acquire here in the states.

Thanks Sig : D , I dare let them all warm up ...... . It took a while to collect the gear but I still have two 90W , one 180W and two 35W Sox lamps to add as i have parts for them so its worth the wait

You can get SOX stuff over here but its getting more and more expensive .

By then end ill have 15 Sox lamps all with magnetic control gear .

Last edited:
Wow, all on magnetics? That's impressive! I've got only modern solid state ballasts that aren't intended for LPS, heh. They work well but it's a matter of finding the perfect ballast for the job when there's no specs to go off of mostly.

I did see you running them on solid state ballasts and it seems they work well considering they aren't intended for the lamps , I guess theres some guess work ? , magnetic ballasts are still common over here thankfully : P

Lots of iron : D

IMG_1552[1] by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

Last edited: