Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPC-815 Sleds - Stonetek - 3 for the Price of 2!

Everyone should buy up all of these LPC815 sleds. Cheapest price ever on them and I'm sure StoneTek will sell out fast!

-Kendall

You guys better buy them while Greg is still taking pain killers :beer:
It won't last long.... Welcome back Greg.

HMike

Just received mine today. Great deal, thanks! I like the business cards too. I extracted one of them from its sled but not the heat sink yet. It took me awhile to get the ribbon off of the diode, I hope that I didn't kill it. First time working with open can diodes.

Just received mine today. Great deal, thanks! I like the business cards too. I extracted one of them from its sled but not the heat sink yet. It took me awhile to get the ribbon off of the diode, I hope that I didn't kill it. First time working with open can diodes.

I will hopefully be offering "removed" diodes soon :) I just need to find an economical way to do it, without outsourcing the labor, since I am incapable of handling a soldering iron as of yet.

Greg

I did have to hold my iron on there for a while but its only 4-14 watts, I will have to test it tonight.

I did have to hold my iron on there for a while but its only 4-14 watts, I will have to test it tonight.

Hmmmm.... well, the BEST way to do it is to use high heat, and short times. What matters here is the amount of heat transferred to the diode from the soldering iron. If you are oding ANY soldering, and do not have any paste flux - SHAME ON YOU ! You gotta have the right tools to do this hobby, and paste flux is INVALUABLE ! The way to use it is like this : slather on a little bit on the solder joint you will either be making, or removing. It allows for much better heat transfer from the iron to the solder. It can get mess as hell, just be careful. Hope this info helps ! Oh, and those, "Nay-sayers" in regards to solder paste, SHHHH ! Be nice ! It is PERFECT for beginner through advanced, and beyond ! If you didn't know that, then you know it now !

Although I cannot myself solder anything right now, I am full of advice (hey, be nice !) in regards to it, because I CAN solder, just not now, is all (too shaky from the after effects of my surgery, and medicines).

Greg

Well, I hooked it up to my rckstr driver set at 360mA and it was very bright, so I didn't kill it. I then took it out of its heat sink and retested it, still very bright. I turned down the amps a bit, tested. Turned it back up and it still worked. Then the next test it was very dim. In the end I think all my testing is what fried it. :( good experience though for when I get some goggles and laser module.

I only let it run for a second or two at a time, felt it after each test and it wasn't very hot. I think that what killed them was using gator clips to connect the diode to the board. The clips probably touched together and shorted.

Lesson learned the hard way.

oldfar

good info about heat sink.this will be my first build.
3 lpc 815
3phr 803t
3 drivers
test load
all for good price and all in one place stonetek

I only let it run for a second or two at a time, felt it after each test and it wasn't very hot. I think that what killed them was using gator clips to connect the diode to the board. The clips probably touched together and shorted.

Lesson learned the hard way.

GAH ! NEVER use clips of any sort...even a tiny lapse in contact can cause a short :(