Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looks like the FDA is finally fed up with handheld lasers...

NO4H99

For what it's worth, fasttech has a banner on their site (as of this morning) that reads: "Packages shipped via Hong Kong Post may currently take longer to deliver due to increased customs/postal service inspections."

When I clicked for details, it brought me to this page: HK Post: Delay In Outbound Air Mail Services (10 September 2013): FastTech Forums

The message uses lithium batteries as an example, but applies to items such as lasers as well. It does, however, suggest that using a different shipping service may remedy the problem. Fasttech also says:

"The postal union has launched a wave of scrutiny yesterday [September 9] which covers all major postal airmail shippers in Asia. " and "Packages with primarily e-liquid and/or batteries in them are now more likely to get caught and get returned to us."

This seems to mirror warning messages coming from laserglow and other companies, indicating that customs and the FDA might actually take some action.

NO4H99

I ordered ton of them (with some other stuff) two days ago.

The order shipped today, I'll keep ya posted. Fasttech will give you a refund if customs screws you though - which is nice.

ixfd64

Another thing that came to mind: if Laserglow is really stopping shipments to the U.S. due to the customs seizures, then how will they handle repairs for U.S. citizens who have bought lasers before the restriction?

Another thing that came to mind: if Laserglow is really stopping shipments to the U.S. due to the customs seizures, then how will they handle repairs for U.S. citizens who have bought lasers before the restriction?
Very good question that also apply with other manufacturers if the crack down really takes off.

Spooky

My very limited understanding of US law suggests the item is already your property so you are not importing it per se. Import (I believe) applies to the act of frist bringing it into the country.

That said, I'm not a lawyer

cheers

Dave

Yes. I asked already and repairs are exempt from customs. I mentioned that earlier
Ever heard a quote "trust me i work for the government " unless there's a official note from country of repair the US Customs are aware of and accept stuck on the laser coming back into the country the customs arnt going to know any different and grab it, at best it will be a paperwork nightmare getting it back even if the " law" says repairs to previous owned items now deemed banned are excempted .i would be really hoping my laser doesn't die.

Last edited:
Ever heard a quote "trust me i work for the government " unless there's a official note from country of repair the US Customs are aware of and accept stuck on the laser coming back into the country the customs arnt going to know any different and grab it, at best it will be a paperwork nightmare getting it back even if the " law" says repairs to previous owned items now deemed banned are excempted .i would be really hoping my laser doesn't die.

I'm with you on that one. I wouldn't want them to die anyway but if worst came to worst I already had a word with them and I've been assured that they still will take repair orders from the USA. though they did note that there may be delays on getting it back.

Well that's a realistic reply from them, its a pity that a lot of brand name lasers are built so difficult that if it was just as an example the diode, you need to be genius to pull them apart without a pile of grief, and effort