Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to purchase a 405nm laser - questions about colour

As the title says I'm looking to make a purchase.

In researching various youtube vids and posts it seems that the range for visibility of this colour is between 400nm -435 nm. With the lower being more purple but, less visible.

Would this be the case at night? Given that there is less refraction? Also is if the beam is focused narrower does the beam become more visible?

Also despite various youtube videos its hard to see the major difference between 402 and 435 nm both appear .. well violet. Has anyone owned or seen two for comparisons sake? If so how vivid was it?

If anyone who has experience could answer the questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

all laser beams appear brighter the narrower they become, especially at the focal point. I never heard of 435nm, or 402nm. do you mean 445nm, and 405nm, respectively?

oops I see the title says 405nm.

this thread shows beam shots of a 405nm, 445nm, and 473nm in the OP (Post #1), though all are not equal mW. the 445nm is the strongest by quite a bit, or it'd look darker and more violetish in comparison:http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/three-blues-misty-night-77749.html

Last edited:
all laser beams appear brighter the narrower they become, especially at the focal point. I never heard of 435nm, or 402nm. do you mean 445nm, and 405nm, respectively?

oops I see the title says 405nm.

this thread shows beam shots of a 405nm, 445nm, and 473nm in the OP (Post #1), though all are not equal mW. the 445nm is the strongest by quite a bit, or it'd look darker and more violetish in comparison:http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/three-blues-misty-night-77749.html

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I was attempting to indicate the entire ultraviolet range - as when you look on youtube the difference between 405 and 435 does not seem great.

In the post you pic there are two pictures one by B-lord showing a very clear difference the colour at the bottom of the screen being the colour I would really prefer, though it does seem... to have a weaker beam despite the output which is concerning.

The camera sees the 405nm as blue. It depends on camera... My cellphone sees 405nm as true blue...

I believe 445nm diodes run somehow hot... that makes their wavelength deviate to ~450ish a little.
There is great difference :)

It's 445nm, not 435nm just so you know ;)
I'd love to get myself a 435nm...

As for color, 405nm will look very, very close to the bottom beam. However, 405nm is near the edge of human vision which makes it not-so-visible.

eye-sensitivity.gif

Last edited:
Yes a 405nm laser will look very royal purple ish, while a 445nm looks like a royal blue with a slight hint of violet. I believe my sig's 405nm and 445nm's colors are roughly accurate, for comparison. There are lots of comparison photos on here, some of which are excellent :beer:

Last edited:
Yes a 405nm laser will look very royal purple ish, while a 445nm looks like a royal blue with a slight hint of violet. I believe my sig's 405nm and 445nm's colors are roughly accurate, for comparison. There are lots of comparison photos on here, some of which are excellent :beer:

Thanks I've been checking around. I really want that royal purple colour.

As an aside do you really own an orange laser..so to speak?