Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to buy or have built a handheld 589nm 10mw+ laser

Ryan J

I know it probably isn't right to post here considering I do not have 20 posts but, I am looking for a 589nm 10mw+ laser. If someone would be able to potentially build me one I can either pay for the module and have it sent to you and you build the host or, you buy the module and create the host. I am also willing to purchase one already built or made by a company if anyone has one on hand. I will be willing to pay whatever is within reason and makes sense depending on the mw output. I just sold several items on eBay so now I am looking to get my first 589nm laser :)

I have bought two different lasers a few years back on here, one being a 1 watt 520nm custom-built laser and a jet lasers 473nm 100mw and I can provide proof if needed. ;)

I would prefer to do Paypal as that is the method I have used previously and have also thought as the safest but I wouldn't say it is an absolute must but just preferred.

Pm me with a price!

Encap

The only company on the planet that makes or has ever made 589nm modules of any mW output for hand held lasers is CNI--so all roads lead there.

The only company offering a 10mW hand held laser this time is Laserglow @ $889 and they will not sell or deliver anything over 5mW to hobby end users in USA or Canada due to Canada and USA regulations and legal requirements. That you presume the situation could be otherwise is just overactive imagination. You can, however, get a 5mW from them see: https://www.laserglow.com/product/rigel-hv-yellow-laser-pointer

Contact Dragon Lasers and CNI first and see if either has any 10mW in stock or if CNI will make one for you and what the price is delivered to you. If they can/will, ask Lifetime17 if he will make a host for it and put it together for you if you pre-pay him for the effort/work and supply the module.

PS You're right you should not post in the Buy, Sell, and Trade sub-forum without meeting the 20 laser post min requirement--is a violation of LPF rules, so...

Last edited:

Ryan J

The only company on the planet that makes or has ever made 589nm modules for hand held lasers is CNI--so all roads lead there.

The only one offering a 10mW this time is Laserglow for $889 and they will not sell deliver anything over 5mW to hobby end users in USA or Canada due to Canada and USA regulations and legal requirements. That you presume the situation could be otherwise is just overactive imagination.

Contact Dragon Lasers and CNI first and see if either has any 10mW in stock or if CNI will make one for you and what the price is delivered to you eiter direct or through Dragon L.
If they will then ask Lifetime17 if he will make a host for it and put it together for you.

PS You're right you should not post in the Buy, Sell, and Trade sub-forum without meeting the 20 laser post min requirement--is a violation of LPF rules, so...
Thanks again for the response. It looks like they do have some in stock at dragon lasers so all I need is the response from lifetime and then It should be good. :)(y)

Also, I'm sorry for breaking the rules. I really should have known better. Is there any way a mod can delete this thread?

Ryan J

Apparently it is a bit more complex than I had imagined. Lifetime17 said it is quite risky to build so I'm debating on even doing a build now. I saw that dragon lasers changed their module from 10mw to 50mw yesterday so If anyone is confident that they can safely build me one please let me know.

Risky for sure, I don't think he wants that kind of liability - nor would anyone else here who builds I bet. Laser diodes are very easily irreparably damaged from static, and DPSS modules are additionally very easily knocked out of alignment. Rich isn't talking out his ass on it, he and I had a few failed attempts on similar projects. Well worth the try, but from experience it was just too much that could go wrong.

Your best bet is getting some build experience first to get an idea of what you're up against, then ask him to make you the empty host, then put the module in yourself.

Luckily, those CNI modules they sell are a bit easier to work with than some other DPSS modules that have been built here in the past. I've been involved in a few of them. Most DPSS modules we get our hands on are case positive, where most diodes we use here are case negative or isolated. Because of what we work with, the drivers available to us are built to be case negative or isolated. This heavily complicates the build process, as the module then needs to be isolated from the host to simulate a situation our drivers can handle. However, because these come with their own driver which is built for case positive units, all that extra complication is out the window.

Supplier specs here