Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking to build my first laser

xsfire

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (I apologize if it isn't) but I am looking to build my first laser. I think I want to go for either violet or green and maybe be as powerful as 200mw (depending on price)
Any advice anyone has for me would be appreciated
thanks,
Randall

First thing you should do is read alot, theres no point making a laser if you dont understand what it's all about, there are some really good beginer threads around (usualy stickied at the top of each different section), also when you say build your first laser do you want it to be fully DIY, or do you want to buy the already made components and just assemble them?

You will also need some tools, the most important one is the soldering iron(in my books anyway) if you dont have one get one, it will be invaluble when it comes to connecting diodes to drivers, twisted wires wont cut it.
Other tools you will just accumulate over time, if you want to get more serious.

Drivers as i stated above are used to give the LD (laser diode) the correct power so it stays stable and lives a long and happy life. There are many types of drivers and you will need to either buy the one that suits your needs or make it. Just two that come to mind are boost drivers and linear drivers.
If you came here trying to figure out how kipkay made his mini mag light laser STOP and do some reading on direct driving a diode. It can be done but only if you know what you are doing.

There is so much more on lasers that you will need to pick up through reading than just being told the answers, and these types of questions have been answered multipule-millions of times(ok maybe not that many). If you are asking a spesific question tho make sure you use the search feature first, and if you still cant find the answer ask... the members here are not going to spoonfeed you. not implying your are like that of course, just giving you a heads up.

have fun, lasers are exciting and the thrill you get when you make your first laser setup and driver is awesome.
Happy reading :D

p.s get your self a pair of laser googles/glasses, your eye sight is a one time thing if you lase it, its gone forever.

Last edited:

xsfire

Thanks for the info,
I do quite a bit of electronics already (mostly computers) so I have the soldering gun and I think I am looking to get the parts due to time constraints (It would be years before I had enough time to truly make one from scratch)

Thanks for the info,
I do quite a bit of electronics already (mostly computers) so I have the soldering gun and I think I am looking to get the parts due to time constraints (It would be years before I had enough time to truly make one from scratch)

Thats good then your all set to go, also my bad if i came off really stern in my post before, i just re-read it haha. :) i didnt mean to.

Once you understand how lasers work its relativley easy to get nack for making them, i am no EE by any standards, and just picked this up about a month and a bit ago. If you have any questions just PM me, i can answer the easy ones :p, but there are more qualified members here and they will be more than willing to help you out, just send them a PM too.

anselm

Most soldering "guns" I know have a tip which is way to big to neatly solder tiny wires onto
tiny diode pins. I suggest a 30W soldering iron instead of that gun.
Building a basic laser pointer from scratch is not not that complicated.
In it's simplest form, it's just a diode, a lens, a driver, a battery and case or "host" to put
it all into. Once you have all the parts, it doesn't take longer than 1 hour to put it all together.

If you like, follow the 2nd link in my signature for a description of how a 1st homemade
laser can work out.

Liquidblur is correct, you should read a lot, the stickies are a good place to start
especially those about laser safety, because remember, some (most) of these here toys
we are dealing with are very dangerous to the eyesight if not handled with due respect.

xsfire

Thanks guys,
I'm looking around as well but if any of you have suggestions for parts or kits for me to look at it would be helpful.
And haha I know I'm a newbie, it didnt come off any more stern than it should have been.

anselm

Look for members "mohrenberg" and "jayrob", they sell great quality kits made from converted flashlights.
These are only the 1st ones to come to mind though, there are more members
like "ray j neal" and "helios" and "pontiacg", if I'm not mistaken.

Just browse the buy/sell/trade forum and you will find a lot of nice stuff to choose from.

Kevlar

Welcome to the forum!! :wave:

Have a look at the links in my sig, they will help you get started. Once you have read up and got the basics down, feel free to ask and specific questions.

Happy lasing!!! :beer:

hey yalls, i was directed to this site by a friend , i came across a blueray player (samsung) & wanted to make a lazer out of it , just to do it, im comp litrate & can solder like a mofo, but im unshure the prossess, requirements & shuch, but dnt have the internet all the time (leach) lol, is there a post on here like a full turtorial i could copy & take home for personal study? plz&thank yalls

Kevlar

hey yalls, i was directed to this site by a friend , i came across a blueray player (samsung) & wanted to make a lazer out of it , just to do it, im comp litrate & can solder like a mofo, but im unshure the prossess, requirements & shuch, but dnt have the internet all the time (leach) lol, is there a post on here like a full turtorial i could copy & take home for personal study? plz&thank yalls

Take a look at the links in my sig if you haven't already.

BTW, you should probably introduce yourself in the Welcome section instead of thread-jacking someone else's.

welcome5_smilie.gif
to LPF!!! :wave: