Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for web-site programing help.

Hello all,

I have been in the "process" of creating my own web project log page, to keep track of experiments.

I downloaded a free template and modified it completely in PS, that is where my problems began. I have very little .html programming experience and a distinct lack of time to learn.

Here is the web page:

HV Streamers

My problem is that I do not know how to modify the index.html, so that only the body would change when someone clicks on a button. As of now, to create a new folder/sub-page I need to transfer all the data(graphics) into that folder for the site to show up as normal. This is not only a waste of space, but also a waste of bandwidth/time and makes to page slow in general.

What I want is the ability to just create a new folder and only have to transfer a slightly modified index.html into that folder and have it show up as a sup-page without having to reload all buttons and graphics.

I imagine that it is a simple fix for anyone with html experience?

I do not have much in the way of laser stuff atm, but will gladly give an LCC diode or two with some nice FS mirrors? If this is not sufficient I am sure some sort of deal can be done.

Anyone willing to help with this, please shoot me a PM or just post in the thread.

Best Regards,
brtaman

Sure I can help you out... So the problem is, you want to be able to ftp a new index.html file to the webserver and replace the old one, without reloading all graphics/links? is this correct? If so I can easily help you out with that!

EDIT: just had a snoop around!! This will work fine... send me a pm... we can talk on msn, if you want. But I can do this, in no time!

Let me know! -Adrian

Last edited:
Sure I can help you out... So the problem is, you want to be able to ftp a new index.html file to the webserver and replace the old one, without reloading all graphics/links? is this correct? If so I can easily help you out with that!

Hey bobhaha,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I think I explained it quite bad, my html lingo is non-existant. :)

Here is the problem:

Main-page is done. ex hvstreamers.com

If I want to create a subpage, for lets say my laser section: hvstreamers.com/lasers

I have to copy all of my files (buttons/graphics etc), into the new laser folder for the laser section to show up properly. But by doing so, when a visitor clicks the laser button to go to the laser section, all the graphics and body reload.

It wastes bandwidth/space/time.

What I need is to somehow modify the index.html, so that when I create the laser section, all I have to do is copy a new laser section index.html into the laser folder.

-So when a visitor clicks on the Laser button, the only thing that will change will be the body section. While the outline/graphics will remain static.

-This will save me server space/bandwidth and make the page much more user friendly.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
brtaman

Ah ok. Shoot me a PM with your email, for the data.

Thanks,
brtaman

actually never mind... ur website has a security flaw... i got all the things i need... just type in Index of /buttons. you will see wat i mean!

btw its late here... If its ok with you can i finish off tommorow? I've got it up and running fine... I just need to get the top banner right... this is wat it looks like atm.. still a working progress... :D

dfsdfh.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah sure man, not a problem! The page has been in its current state for weeks now. :D A couple days up or down wont hurt. :) Whenever you find time.

Can anything good be done security wise? :D

Thanks for the help!
brtaman

cool.... when I get it almost ready to go live... I'll let you know.. I will have a semi-live version running on my webserver here at home.. Kool ill get it done asap!... also I recommend not worrying about security for the moment.. this site doesn't have any data that's very important atm.. cc details ect.. but it can get hacked... umm, but I'm not 100% sure how to get it secure.. ill see if I can incorporate that into the site some how.. home work for me :D

cool.... when I get it almost ready to go live... I'll let you know.. I will have a semi-live version running on my webserver here at home.. Kool ill get it done asap!... also I recommend not worrying about security for the moment.. this site doesn't have any data that's very important atm.. cc details ect.. but it can get hacked... umm, but I'm not 100% sure how to get it secure.. ill see if I can incorporate that into the site some how.. home work for me :D

Cool man, cool. I don't think security will be much of a problem either, most visitors will be coilers/HV/laser fanatics anyways, so its not exactly going to be a prime hacking target. ;)

Thanks! :wave:

Asherz

It's nice to see bob is helping you out a lot, but from my experience it is easiest to set up a constant CSS design style sheet, then the html document is then linked too that.

I don't know if this is what bob is doing, but basically current web standards suggests that you have your html document strictly for defining the structure of your web page and the text using divs.

Then after you have your structure setup, you then create ONE CSS document, and then this is used for the design of your website, so here you will control the colours, different font styles and background images + buttons etc, also padding and positioning.

So instead of in your html document containing links to images, your CSS document deals with all of that. So this means when you set-up a new sub page, all you do is link that page to the CSS document and automatically all your images and styles are applied exactly the same as the index, this means you only have to have one folder containing all your images etc.

Also in the long term, if you ever want to redesign your page, or change some images you can do the entire site all through the one CSS document :)

I hope this makes some sense, and helps you to understand everything a little more :)

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip Asherz, as I said I have no practical html knowledge.

I will look into css documents, to see the way they function.

It's nice to see bob is helping you out a lot, but from my experience it is easiest to set up a constant CSS design style sheet, then the html document is then linked too that.

I don't know if this is what bob is doing, but basically current web standards suggests that you have your html document strictly for defining the structure of your web page and the text using divs.

Then after you have your structure setup, you then create ONE CSS document, and then this is used for the design of your website, so here you will control the colours, different font styles and background images + buttons etc, also padding and positioning.

So instead of in your html document containing links to images, your CSS document deals with all of that. So this means when you set-up a new sub page, all you do is link that page to the CSS document and automatically all your images and styles are applied exactly the same as the index, this means you only have to have one folder containing all your images etc.

Also in the long term, if you ever want to redesign your page, or change some images you can do the entire site all through the one CSS document

I hope this makes some sense, and helps you to understand everything a little more

Good luck.

That's how I'm doing it! Its much better and more efficient this way... don't worry brtaman, I got you covered! :D

Awesome, bobhaha! :D Thanks.

I've been reading up on these CSS docs, very interesting stuff. Definitely improves the web-design process.

ok I'm done... do you want me to add any thing to the other links? for example add some videos or some thing to the link lasers for eg. BTW tommii89 helped with me out with the banner problem I was having! he need some recongnition :D

Umm.. if you give me your msn... I can send you a link to my home webserver... let me know when you online.... Im going to test it out right now... so yeah!