Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

looking for info on....

i understand this is old tech and everyone has a better way of doing things nowadays but for my own personal curiosity i'd love to find out as much as i can about these laser table designs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cauY9dfe5E8&t=21s

as much detail on builds/setups, operation, etc would be greatly appreciated. i'd search more but i'm not even sure exactly what to call these devices in order to search them. lol

thanks in advance, -Fritz

That setup took a lot of time and many beam paths to get the effects they were showing. I saw a diffraction grating attached to a servo controlled motor, a prism attached in a similar way and all set to be switched by the optical table's operator. It was all fed by a single argon/krypton laser.

tnx paul, yeah i caught a few lil aspects, which is what piqued my interest... now i wanna know every lil detail! lol

Since it is all done in a dark room, it is difficult to reproduce everything he used to set it all up. I watched it several times and caught some other aspects I missed in my first post, but I know I'll never get it all no matter how many times I watch the video.

It's just mirrors on the ends of solenoids. The mirrors are shoved into the beam path to redirect the beam to some other beam-altering element. Such elements could be diffraction gratings, vibrating mirrors, lenses, scanners, prisms... any optical element you think might look neat.

It's just mirrors on the ends of solenoids. The mirrors are shoved into the beam path to redirect the beam to some other beam-altering element. Such elements could be diffraction gratings, vibrating mirrors, lenses, scanners, prisms... any optical element you think might look neat.

well ty Cap'n obvious. i guess i need to be more blunt, i'm looking for design ideas and layouts for these types of systems, things that have worked, things that haven't... tips and general advice.

Are these custom/"home" built systems or were they mass produced? if manufactured, are there any full breakdowns of the hardware and designs?

i'd like to think that someone, somewhere documented a build on these. something to work from and ponder over.

Encap

Exactly!

well ty Cap'n obvious. i guess i need to be more blunt, i'm looking for design ideas and layouts for these types of systems, things that have worked, things that haven't... tips and general advice.

Are these custom/"home" built systems or were they mass produced? if manufactured, are there any full breakdowns of the hardware and designs?

i'd like to think that someone, somewhere documented a build on these. something to work from and ponder over.

You are not looking very hard--go to the next video and click on "show more" it gives the details of what it is.

It is just one persons large old optical bench set up as they choose. There are no plans for it. It is a an optical bech electro-mechanical art work that one person put assembled from components that could have ben utilized in many different ways for many different purposes.

You could buy/get some new any number of suppliers and makers or perhaps some good used optical bench components and "Rube Goldberg" together your own setup to your own liking as you see fit - used components from here for example : https://www.bmisurplus.com/products/category/optical-tables-breadboards-legs-bases

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VM48yJSyc8
under "Show More" it says
"A superb electro-mechanical effect box
The volumetric animation.
- Adjustable rosettes (2 mirrors) + 100 ° panoramic orientation
- double turning networks
- Adjustable false ceiling + Y-orientation
- 4 rotating network effects with sepa + blade
- rosette effect + flat network
- shooting bench (10 shots)
- 2 wave effects
- 1 strobe effect
- integrated color changer
Equipment belongs to Jocelyn Morel"
Maybe e-mail or call Jocelyn Morel laser the show guy and ask him about it--see: Jocelyn MOREL - spectacles laser
E-mail: jomo@jocelynmorel.com
Website: site internet de Jocelyn MOREL - concepteur lumière - éclairagiste
Telephone. : +33 (0)6 37 09 55 66

Really you are looking for information on laser show equipment which is a very large field utilizing manufactured and individual built laser light show equipment. Thare thousands of different kinds of equipment computer run and manualy run. --see: http://www.ilda.com/index.htm

What you are asking is like going to a museum, seeng a painting, and asking how would I do that? I want all the details and information.

Last edited:
I like the painting analogy.^

We could tell you how paintings are made, or how to paint, but no one can tell you how to paint a "million dollar masterpiece".

i'm looking for design ideas and layouts for these types of systems

I JUST outlined the design idea and layout. Since they're all custom, the specifics are all up to you.

Reactions: GSS
Alright, Great! ty!
now i guess i'll just start collecting components and work my way down the beam path. it's awesome that these are fairly "one of" designs, which is what i was kinda hoping for. wish i could find one locally to look over in person but o'well.
tnx for the links, will deff assist me in my newest project.

Encap

Alright, Great! ty!
now i guess i'll just start collecting components and work my way down the beam path. it's awesome that these are fairly "one of" designs, which is what i was kinda hoping for. wish i could find one locally to look over in person but o'well.
tnx for the links, will deff assist me in my newest project.

Have a look at photonlexicon forum--a forum pertaining to lasers and their assorted uses with emphasis on Laser light shows and technical information - https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/

In addition there are many other laser light show related forums and suppliers of all sorts of related equpiment and components--just google for them

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS