Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for an adjustable laser that can heat up toenails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Research suggests that fungi are sensitive to heat, typically 40–60 °C (104–140 °F)

njOqEu3.gif

And your first thought was LED, then laser, and not... I DON'T KNOW... HOT WATER OR SOMETHING RIDICULOUS LIKE THAT??

alan31

+1 for using the BDR-209.

Is there a product that has this laser in it so I can use it? I cant make this myself. I need a recommendation that is something like this:
- "Lucinda 200mW 405nm Purple Laser Pointer with Burning Ability"

Does no one here know of a laser pointer with adjustable power levels that I can just buy and put a battery in and use?

@Sumfinclever, thanks for the photos. I searched for it. I will use oil of Oregano along with the laser stuff.

Trust me... you'll have no problem reaching your toe truffles... and beyond. What's to stop the laser from continuing PAST the fungus?

It will be a really small area (its the little toe). Even if there's some heating, it will heal. 140F is not that bad. As long as the heating is gradual and I can control the power levels it should be ok. I've already had success with a hot flashlight but now I need something precise that can heat a smaller area.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
We're on page 2, 20 posts in and no one has given a suggestion on what to buy. Its disappointing.

Is there anyone here who has the ability to think rationally? I'm asking for a product to buy and I'm looking for a suggestion for what to buy. Whether or not I burn my toe off, is off-topic. Please dont treat this like entertainment. I need a suggestion. Or I guess I'll have to research this myself.

The only conclusion I can come to is that no one here knows a lot about lasers or they dont understand what I'm looking even though I have explained this clearly multiple times. Even then if I didnt know anything, I would tell people whatever I knew and declare what I wasnt sure about.

Its shocking actually. Holy Fuck.

I want to buy a laser that has adjustable power levels and it should use an 18650. That is ALL. Please give me a fucking suggestion.

Dont give me the name of the diode, I'm NOT going to spend time assembling it into a laser.

I made a mistake by telling the whole story on what I was going to do with it. I should have just asked for what I needed. This has become a circus.

Please give a product suggestion or do not bother replying or taking part in this thread.

Thinking rationally. Says the person who wants to use a non certified laser, by yourself an untrained medical professional to remove fungus from their toenails. We've had these sorts of requests before. Not a good idea. Get some of the counter medicine for your problem. No need to use high powered laser for this.

alan31

Thinking rationally. Says the person who wants to use a non certified laser, by yourself an untrained medical professional to remove fungus from their toenails. We've had these sorts of requests before. Not a good idea. Get some of the counter medicine for your problem. No need to use high powered laser for this.
Why do you care what I do with the laser?

I'm looking for product that has adjustable power levels and runs on an 18650.

Here are the two valid kinds of replies for my post that will get a response:
- Here's the product that I know of: XYZ
OR:
- Sorry I dont know of a product that would qualify and meet those requirements.

If your post isnt one of the above, please dont reply to this thread. I'm done with this, I've had enough of this circus.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Why do you care what I do with the laser?

I'm looking for product that has adjustable power levels and runs on an 18650.

Here are the two valid kinds of replies for my post that will get a response:
- Here's the product that I know of: XYZ
OR:
- Sorry I dont know of a product that would qualify and meet those requirements.

If your post isnt one of the above, please dont reply to this thread. I'm done with this, I've had enough of this circus.

Because this hobby sees too much irresponsibity going on with lasers and we aim to prevent it.
Not every solution to a problem involves lasers, and we will always push the most responsible and safe option.
As your function is not a typical requirement of most laser products then I will proceed as you kindly asked with this following set reply.

"- Sorry I dont know of a product that would qualify and meet those requirements."

Your application has been dismissed by many on here.

alan31

I made a mistake, I should just have asked for the kind of laser I wanted.

This is fucking ridiculous.

Because this hobby sees too much irresponsibity going on with lasers and we aim to prevent it.

You're not the police.

GSS

Your not going to find a adjustable power level hand held without it being custom made most likely..
Seems like your dead set in trying this.. I'm going to get blasted:whistle: but Sanwu that has an add posted above has some 405's.
Just start with something like 200mW and just get an idea.. If you go more you will most likely find out you won't tolerate the pain pretty fast..

Last edited:

alan31

@GSS:
Ok. Yea I'm seeing some 200mW lasers. I might get one of those.
I want to get an idea of the power levels. If I shine 200mW onto my hand in the same spot, how long would it take before it becomes too hot and I have to take it off? 5 seconds, 30 seconds?

Also is there anything to reduce the power levels using a filter? For example what people use to look at the Sun during an eclipse. I'm aware that if its plastic it might burn through. Maybe there's something made of glass (lens, filter).

As to how long it takes to get "too hot", that is an unknown. It is dependent on the laser's power, it's wavelength, the diameter of the beam, your skin color, and your pain tolerance. I have never seen ND filters that are specially designed for laser pointers.

Why not try something simple? Maybe heat up a metal object to the temperature you wish, then hold that against the nail? This would be free, relatively safe, and something you can do right now.

Or... buy a laser and give that a try. But seriously, if you do, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE make a video.

Last edited:

Encap

We're on page 2, 20 posts in and no one has given a suggestion on what to buy. Its disappointing.

Is there anyone here who has the ability to think rationally? I'm asking for a product to buy and I'm looking for a suggestion for what to buy.

I want to buy a laser that has adjustable power levels and it should use an 18650.
That is ALL. Please give me a fucking suggestion.

Please give a product suggestion or do not bother replying or taking part in this thread.

Nice language --using the "f" word and abusive demands for what does not exist like a spoiled 8 year old is out of bounds here--has been reported. . Suggestion is go chase yourself until the cows come home.

Your questions are moronic. You very clearly have know idea of what you are talking about.

Real world and very rational --what you want --your daydream laser doesn't exist, there is no call for it nor for your use--- in a case you don't "get it" by now.

At this point you are just trolling the forum with the same thing over and over again---it doesn't exist---got it?

You imagined laser is just a daydream and not a good idea even if what you want was actually available in the real world.

Maybe try sunlight unless darkness is the only place you can tolerate. Is not nearly as demented as your proposal about the imaginary laser that does not exist and therefore nobody can suggest where to get one.

also see:

Last edited:
You're not the police.

Now this one rubbed me up the wrong way. Forget the discourteous behaviour higher up, but this one in particular annoyed me.

You're correct in saying we're not the police, but had you thought for a second longer you'd realise that the last thing we want is for laws (enforced by the actual police) to be made stricter, making our hobby more difficult. If people out there are trying to use lasers in dangerous and irresponsible ways, then this is an inevitability. It only takes one parent giving their kid a laser and then the kid losing their sight to get the public outraged and thus our hobby obstructed by annoying legislation. I know you're not a kid who'll immediately try and burn out their eyes, but in all honesty - this is a forum of people with no obligation to answer your question in the way you want. We try and give balanced appropriate advice, and often this is "don't do this" when safety of the operator and any others surrounding it goes first.

You're incredibly likely to hurt yourself, and no forum member wants to see that happen. I don't know how liability works given this community is spread across the world etc, but to avoid it, we're going to discourage this kind of thing whenever it pops up. Same as the person who wanted to use lasers to burn out camera sensors (he said his own, but that didn't pass the sniff test), or people that brag about pointing lasers at other people when they were in the military. I won't touch that with a ten-foot pole.

If you're convinced and won't take no for an answer, I'm not aware of any affordable lasers having adjustable power - there are some units with modulation but they're not finished products. If you're still persistent, get some quality laser goggles (Eagle Pair are good from SurvivalLaser.com, spend no less than $50 otherwise the goggles you get are barely adequate) so at least you can only hurt your toes and not lose your eyesight too.

Status
Not open for further replies.