Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

looking for a cheap laser pointer with IR filter

hey!

i'm new to this forum and im looking for a cheap laser pointer with IR filter. i want one that i can use that will not damage my eyes basically. i know any laser will damage your eyes pointed directly into them. but i hear some of the powerful ones damage your eyes just from looking at the beam or dot.

i would also like the laser pointer to be able to pop ballons and burn things e.g paper. links would be brilliant :)

thanks in advance for any replies.

aaron :D

Re: looking for a cheap laser pointer with IR filt

look at the "list of laser resources" sticky under the "general" subcategory - it has LOTS of links.

get a decent pair of goggles/glasses at novalasers or wicked for under $50. Your eyes are worth it.

If you want something completely safe, you wont be burning anything. In that case, get a good leadlight like those from atlasnova.com. If you want to put tiny pinholes in black paper and pop black balloons, you'll probably want >50mW of true green, which is not really safe.

Some lasers are strong enough that looking at the dot alone will damage your eyes, but we're talking tons of Watts, not any of these mW IIIb portable lasers. With a 50mW though, its easy to accidentally take part, or all of the beam back in the eye (such as the reflection off a window) and hurt your eyes. Not to mention that 50mW of green is BRIGHT. You don't want to be staring at that one way or another. I'd suggest getting a pair of WL sports goggles or lasershades from wickedlasers.com. They will cost you ~$40-70, but its well worth it and honestly if that is too expensive for you, than so is a strong laser.

Laserglow.com, Optotronics.com, wickedlasers.com, dragonlasers.com, etc all sell filtered lasers, though not all of them have the best reputation, or the products you are looking for unfortunately.