Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LOOK what i found!

when going through my draws i noticed one of those plasma ball things ( the globe was smashed ), you know the ones you touch and little lightning goes to your finger. well i decided to to open it up and I found heeps of things that i don't recognise and some things that i do. ALSO the DC for this is 6V and thats the only info i could get ;D

here are a few pics of the stuff i found.

OK, well now that you've seen the pictures i was wandering if you guys could tell me if it was a suitable circuit for the GB diodes or are there any things inside it that could be useful

THANKS!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Benm

Some of the capacitors may be useful, but i can't read the values on the picture.

Well in theory it's a mini tesla coil. It steps up the voltage pretty high so it jumps. Of course thats aided by whatever the chuck in the globe. Whatever circuit they have in it should give a pretty stable output. I imagine it would need a stable, constant flow of wee electrons to get the energy flows. But in reality I have no idea how it works so I'm just hypotho... thingying. Can't speel hahahaha.

Medd

Things

put 6 volts into where the batteries were connected, and you have a high voltage power supply! i have one of these, and yes they are basically a mini tesla coil, but do not touch the black wire coming out the top when it is on!!!!duh! ;D but yeah, they are awesome little things to experiment with

Things

oh and it wouldn't contain any usefull parts for a LD driver apart form maybe a diode and capacitor! so just hook 6v up to it, and have some HV fun! it will not kill you, but be careful, they can bite you! :D

dilmah

you can take the LM317T and the 1N400x i guess

if it is an LM317T and 1N4004 in the first pic

Things

no that is not a LM317T, it is used as a high speed switch to drive the coil ;)

so i it's not a good circuit for the LD? awwww my quick fix solution went wrong :'(

anyways ill take some resistors, capacitors, diodes and anything else, keep me updated on stuff.

THANKS ;D

Gador

I don't get it, why is a microphone in there? Isn't that just a regular plasma ball?

some plasma balls have a sound active mode.
and no, if you hooked a LD up to this it would die before you even saw any light.
imagine connecting the outlet of a power station to your mobile phone.
Laser diode, max 3 volts. This thing, output roughly 30,000 volts. See the issue?
But this can be fun. Identify the 2 high voltage (HV) electrodes, put them roughly 5mm apart and turn it on. Then try moving them further apart (with a PLASTIC implement, don't even hold the wire if its insulated) and see how big a spark you can get!

Things

well these things seem to have a max output of about 10kv, so you should get atleast 1cm arcs! don't bother ripping it for a LD driver, there is nothing really useable in there. just have fun with HV!!!!

Well, the high-speed switch could be used for a pulsed driver...but besides that, do what things/bluefusion said - have fun!!!

mKay, it gave me a little shock when i rouched it, i just wanted to see ;D and the new south park episode is out on southparkfiles.com or southparkzone.com ;D pretty funny